Author Topic: Merchant Seaman's death  (Read 1609 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman's death
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:14 GMT (UK) »
This is the CWGC record:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2782147/davis,-leslie-leonard/

They commemorate him on the Tower Hill Memorial in London.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:23 GMT (UK) »
If you google Leslie Leonard Davis Falkland Islands he is mentioned in a wonderful family tree online.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Just realised poster has his second name as Lionel not Leonard, hope what I have found is nt wrong, though co incidences seem plausible. Apologies if this is so I must read more carefully.

Cathy

Offline cornishjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 March 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies, First he is not the one from the Falklands have checked that out, I believe he was born in Bedlanog Cath, will set out what details I know, well here goes,he married mum in April 1938 as Leslie Lional Davis aged 26 Able seaman merchant navy, they were both living at 36 Tresawle road, Falmouth Cornwall, his father was Morgan Leslie Davis mechanical engineer, I have tried the Bedlanog family history about 12 months ago and keep looking but no one seems to be using it or answering my query, in Oct. 1940 when my brother was born she is saying that she is a widow, and the father of my brothers and sister that followed were given his surname untill 1948 when my 2nd stepfather was able to marry mum and give them all their rightful name,he could not marry mum in 1940 as he would have liked to do as his 1st wife would not give him a divorce, but relented in 1948, hope all this hasn't confused the issue .thanks again for your help.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 19 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry about the wrong family, the merchant service records (4 cards) all give his name as Leslie Davis born 5.5.11 and same numbers, so same man.
I wonder why his dob differs, I suppose he could have said South Wales and they entered Australia thinking of the state. But where did Sydney Aus come from?
I can t find a suitable birth for him or anything on his father.
His wife Mary appears to be at that address you give in 1939 with her family, married.
Very strange.
There is a tree on Ancestry that has him born 1905 died 1970 but not much other info unfortunately and it could be wrong.
Hopefully perhaps someone else can find something.

Cathy

Offline cornishjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 March 19 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cathy for trying, I to have tried every avenue I can think of and come up empty handed, it is the short time that all happened, Wed 1938 April,  Widowed 1940, And yes as you say she is down as married in 1939 but as Davis crossed out( why was this as she was still married to Davis) and Altass imposed, he was my stepfather, and in 1948 when he and mum married he had all my siblings name change to his, as he was their father and this was something he was legally allowed to do. This is just one of several problems I have had to find the answer to, but if you or anyone can suggest a new road to search I'd be most grateful.

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 March 19 01:09 GMT (UK) »
cornish jack, if it's crossed out in the register and Atlas imposed, it is likely it was done after the second marriage, as the register was used well into the 1970s to track NHS-related matters. You usually see it with women's maiden names and then their married names added years later, and sometimes a second one following a death or divorce.

Offline cornishjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 March 19 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi gemmamoon, got your message in my email, but for some reason, not sure what I'm doing wrong, it won't let me reply direct so trying this, the added name Altass after crossing out Davis, you have explained it well, can you tell me about the record cards please and where to look for them maybe his death is recorded on them Thank you.