Author Topic: Anyone come across a whole family that change their Surname  (Read 2886 times)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone come across a whole family that change their Surname
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 March 19 02:56 GMT (UK) »
When researching one of my particular lines a few years ago through the censuses (I forget exactly which one, may have been in Gloucestershire? or Shropshire?) I was amused to note the neighbouring family in 1841? had the delightful name of COCKHEAD. As I followed my line through a decade later the neighbours were COCKS. In future years they had the surname COX.

Can't imagine why they felt the need for change.  ???
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 March 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
This thread reminds me of a family I researched recently who also came from Ormskirk, though before Civil Registration.

Following the deaths of both parents, it looks like the Parish sent their children off to Bolton, which had a fast-growing cotton industry. There may have been financial incentives to the senders of "apprentices".

On the way, probably through some clerical error, the surname for all the children changed from ASHURST to ASHWORTH.

Ashworth is a surname virtually unknown in the Ormskirk records, but common in east Lancashire.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 March 19 12:42 GMT (UK) »
This thread reminds me of a family I researched recently who also came from Ormskirk, though before Civil Registration.

Following the deaths of both parents, it looks like the Parish sent their children off to Bolton, which had a fast-growing cotton industry. There may have been financial incentives to the senders of "apprentices".

On the way, probably through some clerical error, the surname for all the children changed from ASHURST to ASHWORTH.

Ashworth is a surname virtually unknown in the Ormskirk records, but common in east Lancashire.

Just been looking at a Fielden family living in Blackburn, Lancashire ( A relatively common name in Blackburn so no surprise) but prior to moving there it looks like they could have been Fielding not sure yet still trying to working out if it just a corruption of Fielden or the original name was Fielding, before moving out they did come from Mellor (not far from Blackburn) 
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 17 March 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Didn’t see this post before I made mine just now!  ;D

My 3x Great Grandfather and all 5 of his brothers changed their name from Monk to Monckton (the latter with the occasional spelling variant as ‘Monkton’) at some point during a move from their village in Rock, Worcestershire to Wolverhampton and surroundings in the late 1820s/early 1830s. In my case I know it was a deliberate name change and not a mis-transcription or mistake because on the few occasions they go back to their home village, they go back to reporting their name as Monk and then switch back to Monckton when they leave.

It really is the central mystery of this part of my tree. I can find no reason as to *why* they changed their name.