Author Topic: Magee Family of migrants to NSW  (Read 8482 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magee Family of migrants to NSW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 March 19 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Second marriage for widowed (1870) Sarah MAGEE

NSW BDM
1382 / 1873 MUNDAY   Patrick    marr.     MACGEE   Sarah   @ Newtown

This marriage certificate will be useful to your research. Sarah will give information about her origins, and her first marriage and family.

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 March 19 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks wivenhoe for finding the NSW index record of marriage of Sarah Macgee to Patrick Munday in 1873.  I had been aware of it as I had been searching that register for a marriage of her daughter Sarah (baptized Sarah McGee 22 Mar 1857), and found two others as well -
05/1875     TUCKER JAMES ALBERT       MCGEE SARAH SYDNEY
2582/1883 BAKER EDWARD                  MCGEE SARAH GLEBE
Sarah 2 would have been 16 in 1873 and while she should have been a help in caring for her younger sibs I daresay there would have been pressure on the widow with seven children to downsize her household, &/or re-marry.   Perhaps Sarah 2 married J. Tucker or E. Baker?   Was there a third Sarah in Sydney at the time?

In response to your Q in Reply #5, as yet, I havn't purchased any certificates as I have not been certain of identifying the right people, but you and the others are helping a lot in this process.  The variation in the spelling of the surname McGee (Magee, M'Gee) makes research more difficult using sites such as the NSW Register of BDM and Trove..  I was about to ask you how you knew widow Sarah  married Patrick Munday, then I saw your post #6.  This contains a lot of  info and now I believe I can answer your other Q with some confidence in stating that this family is mine, especially with references to Sarah M'Gee Munday, her brother Alexander McGrory (Sarah's maiden name, as I thought), and her naming as a witness in the coronial inquiry of the drowning of Bernard M'Gee.  Niece, Margaret Duffy may have been adopted and remained with them as the seventh child.

Thanks also to dathai for searching for the baptisims of Bernard and Sarah but the ones you have found a probably a decade too late, as we belive their first child was born in 1849.

Best wishes  :D

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Anchor425. I came upon your post quite recently. I think we might be somehow related. I am a descendant of the Mellare-Flatley (McGee) family on my mother's side. Great work here! I am glad someone has looked into this side of the family.

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annemaree
 :D  We certainly are related as my older paternal aunt was Lorna May Mellare, nee Farrell (1915-1999) who married Lawrence Bernard ("Nugget") Mellare in Lismore in 1936.  Nugget was the youngest of 10 children of Jack and Sarah Ann.  Which one are you descended from?
My father was Kevin John Farrell (1918-1989).  You can find part of my family tree on geni.com, basic membership of which is free, by searching my father.
Very best wishes for the New Year.
Kevin

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Kevin. Happy New Year and thanks for your reply. Lovely to connect with you.

On my mother's side, my grandmother was Ethel Mellare (Waters) who married Thomas E. Waters. She was Sarah Anne Flatley's (Mellare) daughter, I am not sure which child she was. I could ask my mother but her memory is not what it used to be. Yesterday, I told her about your research which was funny because she always thought the Flatleys came from Cork, Ireland. Galway and Northern Ireland are a long way from Cork! I think my mother mentioned Bernard, she recalled him fondly before he passed.

I will look up your family on Geni, then. My grandfather is Thomas E. Waters (who married Ethel Mellare). I searched his maternal family, which originated from Whitegate in Clare Co., Ireland. So really, both my grandparent's ancestors have Irish each way you look. It was nice to see the family tree extended to Galway and Northern Ireland as well.

Anne Maree

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Anne Maree

The origin of the Flatley family may be conjectural.  According to his obituary of 18 Aug 1916 (The Richmond River Herald and Northern Districts Advertiser (NSW), John Flatley (1835-1916) was born in Galway, and this is engraved on his cemetery monument in Coraki (findagrave.com).  A NSW immigration record/passenger manifest may provide more info.  I have found one for a Thomas Flatley, age 26, who arrived on "Lady Milton" in 1862, and was from Co. Sligo.

Kevin

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that is confusing! All part of the genealogy game, I suppose. When I searched for the Collins family emigrating to Melbourne, via Port Phillip, I found a possible match but the age was a bit off. Could John/Thomas Flatley have moved to Sligo from Galway?

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Thomas was another person, maybe a cousin of John. 
NSW Death:
FLATLEY THOMAS 13573/1914   THOMAS CATHERINE MACLEAN
FLATLEY JOHN      12830/1916   MICHAEL    LISMORE

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 05:42 GMT (UK) »
FLATLEY THOMAS 13573/1914   THOMAS CATHERINE MACLEAN
FLATLEY JOHN      12830/1916   MICHAEL    LISMORE

Ah, okay, that could be the case. So who is 'Michael from Lismore' referring to? Is that his son?