Author Topic: Edith Agnes FLETCHER  (Read 3672 times)

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Edith Agnes FLETCHER
« on: Friday 08 March 19 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. This is a complete shot in the dark but here goes.
My great aunt Edith Agnes FLETCHER was born in 1901 in Newport, Shropshire, England. Family lore has it that she emigrated to Australia, probably some time in the 1920s. There's a suggestion that she may have married before she left England so may have travelled under a different surname. I believe that members of her family in Australia may have made enquiries in Shropshire some years ago but the people they spoke to couldn't help them.
Any information gratefully received, thank you.
clarke, sutton; shifnal wellington market drayton potteries
lowe, fletcher, bradburn; priorslee lilleshall donnington
horton; wolverhampton
betteley; shropshire and staffordshire

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Agnes FLETCHER
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 19 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

An online tree has Edith married to Denis Papchuck 9 Nov 1919, Liverpool.

Denis and Edith the emigrate to Australia -

Mrs E A Papchuck & D Papchuck
Departure Place - London
Arrival Date - 16 Apr 1920
Arrival Place - Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
Vessel - Ceramic

Possible marriage -

Edith A Papchuck
Marriage Place - Western Australia
Registration Place - Perth, Western Australia
Registration Year - 1933
Registration Number - 779
Spouse - Frederick Patrick Peirl

To ensure the details are correct it would be advisable to purchase the marriage cert for Edith A Fletcher in 1919, Liverpool to ensure it's the correct line.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 19 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper article covering the divorce of Edith and Denis -

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/79483665?searchTerm=papchuck&searchLimits=

JJ

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 March 19 12:13 GMT (UK) »
naa.gov.au has several files for PAPCHUCK Denis [Daniel]
These three are avail to view online (others not yet avail but can request a copy for a fee)
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/NAAMedia/ShowImage.aspx?B=4313129&T=PDF
PAPCHUCK Daniel - Nationality: Russian - Arrived Geraldton [WA] per unknown 22 March 1913
PAPCHUCK, D https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1947481
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=4377265
PAPCHUCK Denis : Service Number - 2358 : Place of Birth - Beresdorf Russia : Place of Enlistment - Blackboy Hill WA : Next of Kin - (Mother) PAPCHUCK Ulyora

Fremantle Cemetery http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=FB00020425
Daniel PAPCHUCK; age 65; DoD 17/05/1958

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 March 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Karrakatta Cemetery
Edith Agnes PEIRL; age 78; DoD 23/07/1979
http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00159612
Frederick Patrick PEIRL;age 100; DoD 25/08/1991
http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00178034

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 March 19 13:32 GMT (UK) »

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:18 GMT (UK) »

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you all for your responses. I didn't really expect to hear anything.  I had previously found possible marriages for Edith A. FLETCHER including to Denis PAPCHUCK, although it was only one of many possibilities, but I hadn't found them on passenger lists (I was probably searching for later dates, as Edith would have been only 18 years old in 1919). If this is her marriage, and as you say, JJen, I will have to order a marriage certificate to confirm this, it opens up a whole can of worms. While I was out at the gym my other half found lots of information about Denis PAPCHUCK, and what an interesting character he was, including all of his First World War service records (ANZAC on the Western Front, gassed and probably recuperated in the UK) and divorce record (thanks also JJen and cupoflife). Edith appears to have committed adultery with a William Jamieson but doesn't seem to have married him. As well as a possible PEIRL marriage in 1933 I have found a possible marriage to a Rollo M. INVERARITY in Northam in 1928.
Thank you cupoflife for providing the names of the PAPCHUCK children, although I think all of them are from a subsequent marriage. There are also three more PAPCHUCK children registered at this time: Patrick in 1920 in Fremantle, Thomas in 1921 in Geraldton, and James in 1923 in Sussex (the divorce article says that the couple lived in Geraldton until 1924 and had three children).
There's lots going on here and I will have to read and digest it all.

Thank you all again!
horton; wolverhampton

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who responded to my original post. From the marriage certificate I was able to confirm that Edith Fletcher did marry Denis (he later called himself Daniel) Papchuck in the UK and they arrived in Fremantle in 1920. I now want to track down their children: Patrick Daniel, b. 1920 in Marine, Fremantle; Thomas Vincent, b. 1921, Geraldton; and James A., b. 1923, Sussex., and any marriages and grandchildren.
The couple divorced in 1928 and in a newspaper article Mr Papchuck is quoted as saying that he had placed the children in the care of the State.
I have found the death of Patrick Daniel in Perth in 1970 but by that stage his surname is ROBERTS, which leads me to believe that one or more of the children may have been adopted. I have also found a death for a Thomas Vincent Roberts in 1984 although the age at death is a year or two out.
Mr Papchuck remarried and had several more children. His second wife died young and he then appears to have placed at least one of these children, Raymond Papchuck, in Parkerville Children's Home. Maybe Patrick, Thomas and James were placed there too.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
horton; wolverhampton