Author Topic: Edith Agnes FLETCHER  (Read 3653 times)

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Agnes FLETCHER
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 April 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mollipops1. I hadn't found the WWII record for Thomas Vincent.

And thanks cupoflife for the info about Edith working in the munitions factory. It all helps to build a picture of the family.

;D
clarke, sutton; shifnal wellington market drayton potteries
lowe, fletcher, bradburn; priorslee lilleshall donnington
horton; wolverhampton
betteley; shropshire and staffordshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 April 19 05:05 BST (UK) »
A few observations ;D
The WW1 record for Denis PAPCHUCK, (who by the way could not write his name) show that he arrived in Geraldton in 1913 and enlisted in AIF, a tunneler. His mother was noted as NOK.

On 26th March he applied at Bhurpore Barracks Tidworth for discharge  saying he wished to return to Russia and had not had contact with his family mother etc. there and he intended to live there permanently.

The discharge was granted July 1919.
The marriage to Edith Agnes FLETCHER took place in Nov. 1919 and the birth record for Patrick
PAPCHUCK   Patrick D C Marine
At Fremantle
Reg 1

So Patrick was born on the way to Aust.

You can make what you will of the sequence of events!
Sue

ADDING.
By the way, both E A PAPCHUCK and D PAPCHUCK were on the Ceramic .
He listed as ex AIF and she as dependent of ex AIF.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 April 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, sparrett, for your observations, all of which are true. I just want to ask about the birth record for Patrick Daniel. Does the registration district 'Marine' indicate a birth at sea? I guess also the registration number 1 would indicate the first birth registration in that district on arrival in April 1920. As Edith and Denis gave the same address on their marriage certificate it's not surprising that a baby was born soon after. A newspaper report of 28 January 1948 gives Patrick's age as 28, so that figures, although I appreciate that newspapers don't always get it right!
My guess is that Edith and Denis met in London round about the time of his discharge from the AIF in the summer of 1918. Maybe they went to Liverpool with the idea of sailing to the USA, as this would be the logical port to sail from. They lived there for a little while, as Denis worked in a sugar factory. For whatever reason they returned to London and went to Australia instead, as Denis was entitled to do as an ex-ANZAC.
I would have thought that the baby would have been listed on the disembarkation records at Fremantle.
By the time of his naturalisation in 1952 Denis Papchuck was still illiterate, in English at any rate.

EDIT: Denis was of course discharged in 1919, not 1918.
horton; wolverhampton

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is not a registration district "Marine"  Yes born at sea.

Application by PAPCHUCK  for discharge to see his family in Russia 26th March 1919.

Granted July 1919

Married Nov 1919

To Aust per Ceramic arriving April 1920

Patrick's birth registered at the destination. WA.
Sue

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 April 19 15:17 BST (UK) »
Ah, right. Thanks.
Just out of interest I googled 'SS Ceramic' and found that it was a White Star liner that sailed between LIVERPOOL  and Australia. So they didn't sail from London as per the records and explains why they were in Liverpool in the first place.
I don't think Denis Papchuck ever visited his mother. He states that he only left Australia once, to fight in WWI.
horton; wolverhampton

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 April 19 23:53 BST (UK) »

I don't think Denis Papchuck ever visited his mother. He states that he only left Australia once, to fight in WWI.

Yes, he seems to have got waylaid in the plan for the visit home.
He named a daughter from his second marriage after his mother.

Sue

Offline GrahamGeoffrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 August 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been intrigued to read the entries for Edith Agnes Fletcher as she is my Great Aunt. I am in England where she originates from. She was one of several siblings to mother Emma nee Bradburne and Edward Fletcher, my great grandparents. Among her siblings was William Fletcher who served in WW1 and died on the Somme. He served with 5th Battalion Kings Shropshire light Infantry (KSLI) and died in the New Zealand Stationary Hospital in Amiens, France; DoD Aug 28th 1916 service number 19073 . He is buried in a local civilian/military cemetery which I have visited on a couple of occasions. Much of the family still live in Shropshire. The intriguing aspect of this is how did my great aunt meet a Ukrainian seaman who enlisted with ANZAC forces, finding herself with child out of wedlock and then set sail for Australia. I'll be looking into this to see if there is any more available. Photographs attached. If I follow the thread correctly, I think some of us are related.

Offline GrahamGeoffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 August 19 08:44 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got a photograph of Edith's grave or any other.I tried hard with family members to see if there was any memorabilia or photograph of William Fletcher; also tried a search of local newspapers for any entry but all to no avail. Attached photograph shows the former war memorial which was subjected to vandalism so it has now been relocated to a much more suitable site.

Offline Sonoftheson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 August 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
For brianthecow I can tell you that the three sons, Pat, Tom, and Jim all changed their name to Roberts in July of 1940.  They were not adopted.