Author Topic: What happened to Mary Ann NUTCHER b 14 April 1885  (Read 890 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Mary Ann NUTCHER b 14 April 1885
« on: Friday 08 March 19 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I’m trying to sort out what happened to the children of Henry Parker NUTCHER (1847-1915) and his wife Sarah BOHEA (1847 - 1892?)

I am down to the youngest who was Mary Ann NUTCHER born 14 April 1885

in 1891 she is with her Father’s sister and her husband (Eliza and William Henry HEYDEN) in Alverstoke, Gosport, Hampshire.
her mother Sarah is nearby with 2 other siblings, Rhoda and Arthur.
I haven’t found Henry in 1891 yet.

Sarah seems to have died Alverstoke in 1892

In 1901 Henry with three of his 5 surviving children (Rhoda NOAKES, Margaret NUTCHER and Arthur NUTCHER plus Noakes grandchildren)  are in Edmonton, Middlesex.

But there is no sign of Mary Ann.

There are Banns on Ancestry for Mary Ann NUTCHER and Robert POLLARD in 1903 in Edmonton,  but there is a note in the margin that says ‘overrun” so I am presuming that marriage did not go ahead.  I certainly see no further evidence for it.

A public tree on Ancestry (with no recent activity)  says Mary Ann died on 6 Jan 1971 (the death registration matches her birth date) and has her with a number of children and a ‘spouse’ named Robert Adam JOHNSON.   Notes attached say that they did not marry, and that the oldest child of Mary Ann was not Robert’s but, according to family lore,  the son of a ‘young lord’ who couldn’t marry her.  I assume from that she was in service somewhere.

The daughter's  name is purported to be Ada Dorothy NUTCHER b 1905

1. If Mary Ann NUTCHER (JOHNSON) died in 1971 where is she in 1939?  I cannot see her under either name.  The Tree suggests she was known as Daisy, but I cannot see her under that name either

2.  Ada Dorothy NUTCHER.  I see no birth  that fits. (the Daisy Elizabeth NUTCHER in 1906 Kingston J Qtr is not her). See next two replies
     in 1927 there is a Dorothy NUTCHER age 21 Single, Roman Catholic, in the London Workhouse admissions.  And I do not see a birth that matches her.  I am wondering if Ada Dorothy is really  Dorothy Elizabeth as in the 1950 electoral rolls there is a Dorothy Elizabeth NUTCHER and there is another NUTCHER with her who seems to be her illegitimate daughter. (I won’t name incase still living)

3. The tree has Ada Dorothy dying in 1989 and there is a 1987 death of an Ada Dorothy NUTCHER but that I think is a married woman. There IS a Dorothy Elizabeth NUTCHER b 4 June 1906 at Hounslow in 1992.  I cannot find her in 1939 either.

4. I see no-one in 1911.  If the information is correct there should be Mary Ann, Robert Adam JOHNSON, and at least two children  Ada Dorothy b abt 1905, and an Edith JOHNSON reg March qtr 1911 possibly also Annie Edith JOHNSON b 1909)

5. Incase it is helpful other children who MAY belong to this couple are

(All JOHNSON with MMN NUTCHER)

Emily Louise 1918 S qtr Marylebone   Marriage to John Albert TALBOT 12 Feb 1938 looks right
Robert Frederick 1915 S qtr Kensington
Ethel 1913 J qtr, Kensington
Edith 1911 M qtr Kensington
Annie Edith 1909 M qtr Kensington  (I think she died June qtr, 1911, Kensington)
The tree has an additional son Percival (Johnny) no dob. I cannot see him on Freebmd or GRO indexes

I am sorry to be so long winded.
If anyone can make any sense out of  this I should be very grateful. It is Mary Ann herself I would really like to know about, but of course her children are also interesting!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Mary Ann NUTCHER b 14 April 1885
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
There IS a Dorothy Elizabeth NUTCHER b 4 June 1906 at Hounslow in 1992.

You may have already found this but baptism 27 June 1906 names mother only as

Mary Ann Daisy Nutcher

address 47 Haydon's Road

so there is a link to the name Daisy there (if this is your Mary Ann)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Ah, that will teach me to look at the image,  index says Ann Daisy, but image says Mary Ann Daisy, and date of birth is 4 June 1906, so that seems likely to be the person who becomes Dorothy Elizabeth.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 March 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
some baptisms to Robert & Daisy Johnson

21 Dec 1910 St Columb, Notting Hill, Annie Edith and Edith address 1b Swinbrook Road, father labourer

17 Nov 1915 St Andrew & St Philip, Kensal Green, Robert Frederick dob 29 Aug 1915 address 46 Bosworth Road, father soldier.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb