Author Topic: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?  (Read 6711 times)

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?
« on: Friday 08 March 19 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Gt Gt gfathther Edwin, was born 1827 NY State USA. Arrived in Melbourne c 1853 . Married a lass from Aberdeen. They had a son in 1855  and moved north to Ballarat  before Aug 1856. Had 2 daughters and then moved way north up to Rockhampton  early 1861       
In 1863 gg Gfather Edwin bought 500 pounds worth of land within Rockhampton    .  Ive searched the Star newspaper ( Ballarat  paper) 1855-61 . Could only find a brief political ref Dec 1856 and he got into trouble for not registering his sons birth 22 Jan 1860 was find 5 shillings  But no bank heists ??  No Lotto back then   Dont have any ref to him being  a miner Does anyone know if any major  Ballarat gold discoveries were recorded ?   Only one I recall is Holtermans Nugget  but was much later and in NSW anyway. 500 pounds was a great deal of money back then  ?

Bye

Emilypos

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 19 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Some thoughts ...
 :D Inheritance arrived from inlaws or long lost spinster aunt
 :D Mortgage involved
 :D Conditional Purchase allowed repayments over time
 :D found the pot at end of the rainbow

If this had been NSW I would do a title search and go right back to the purchase terms he had agreed to.  BUT  I am not familiar with conveyancing in Qld....  and Qld was hived off NSW 1859.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 19 22:30 GMT (UK) »
QLD state archives

Record Type   Legal agreements
Item Format   Files
Description   BRODNITZ, Michael (Vendor) and CARPENTER, Edwin (Purchaser)
Start Date   1/9/1863 - End Date   7/9/1863

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/BasicSearch.aspx

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
I bought copy of these 2 legal files from QSA a few days ago. Was this info that he'd spent 500 pounds
 on land in Rockhampton that set me off on the hunt again.   If an inheritance was involved 99% sure it wouldnt have been from his family in America  . His  grandma died before he was born and grandfather in 1840. Got copy of his will  some time ago.  His father d in 1872 Will check out his wives family

Bye
Emilypos

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Could only find a brief political ref Dec 1856

Just noting this newspaper reference actually acknowledges that he was a ratepayer in Ballarat in December 1856. He is supporting a candidate for council elections.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
QLD state archives

Record Type   Legal agreements
Item Format   Files
Description   BRODNITZ, Michael (Vendor) and CARPENTER, Edwin (Purchaser)
Start Date   1/9/1863 - End Date   7/9/1863

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/BasicSearch.aspx

and

I bought copy of these 2 legal files from QSA a few days ago. Was this info that he'd spent 500 pounds
 on land in Rockhampton that set me off on the hunt again.   If an inheritance was involved 99% sure it wouldnt have been from his family in America  . His  grandma died before he was born and grandfather in 1840. Got copy of his will  some time ago.  His father d in 1872 Will check out his wives family

Bye
Emilypos

Is there any information on those files that refers to the Terms of Payment that the Seller expected?   There are land sales in NSW in that era, where the seller expected a deposit, and then 20 or more annual payments (once a year, after the buyer had produced a crop and sold it at the markets etc) .... The seller usually stayed in the local district too, so was likely a neighbour.     You may not need to find out IF he had £500 cash on hand when he entered into the purchase agreement.    That type of arrangement (deferring payments) allowed the land to be improved, and for the seller to have a regular income (from the land he had previously owned, and over which he was still 'controlling') and for the buyer to produce off that land, and increase his own wealth too. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 19 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Well,  ;)
Edwin had deserted his family and was believed to be in the USA by the time of his wife's death (Margaret nee LESLIE) in 1877.
She had had her last child in Ballarat in 1868.
Her net worth at time of death was just over 100 EDIT 200 pounds.
Her probate documents and other family information is available.

Sue

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 March 19 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Maybe he did find a 'pot of gold' ? File attached are these 2 legal doc and a letter he wrote to his wife from the US that I typed up  long time ago . The original was cross written . He didnt desert  her. I got copy of her estate details a long time ago ........ She is referred to as wife of Edwin CARPENTER of parts beyond the seas ..........

Currently only 2 trees in Ancestrys public   . Used to be a few more  . Both have guesses . One combines 2  quite separate LESLIE families . LESLIE is quite a common name around Aberdeenshire

The other has an Edwin CARPENTER arriving Melbourne 1853 per  maybe  ship Alabama . According  to a file I checked that person was 4 yrs old

Was getting copy of these 2 legal files that set me off on the hunt again

Bye

Emilypos

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 March 19 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Well, it is just that the attached snip from the affidavit of Edwin jnr in the matter of probate application states no contact for several years.

She is referred to as wife of Edwin CARPENTER of parts beyond the seas ..........

She was the wife of Edwin Carpenter whether living with him or not.