Author Topic: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?  (Read 6658 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 March 19 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emilypos

Are you able to tell us the content of the will document if  you acquired it from QLD Archives?
Am I correct in thinking you did get a copy?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 March 19 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes VIC wills have been on line and downloadable for some time as have TAS  BUT these are separate docs to  probate applications.    I wondered if such were searchable although not digitised  in other States.  Think I'd give the NT as miss . Just took 6 weeks to get copy of will

Bye

Emilypos

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Over the course of this topic you have been asked some questions.
In order to  move forward, it would help if you were able to reply to them.

Is there any information on those files that refers to the Terms of Payment that the Seller expected?   There are land sales in NSW in that era, where the seller expected a deposit, and then 20 or more annual payments (once a year, after the buyer had produced a crop and sold it at the markets etc) .... The seller usually stayed in the local district too, so was likely a neighbour.     You may not need to find out IF he had £500 cash on hand when he entered into the purchase agreement.    That type of arrangement (deferring payments) allowed the land to be improved, and for the seller to have a regular income (from the land he had previously owned, and over which he was still 'controlling') and for the buyer to produce off that land, and increase his own wealth too. 

JM

Hi Emilypos

Are you able to tell us the content of the will document if  you acquired it from QLD Archives?
Am I correct in thinking you did get a copy?
Sue
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear JM,

Not aware of not answering any questions ? I did try to upload copy of both legal docs  didnt see them in this forum.  Then I scanned just one page of each which seemed the most important but again didnt seem to work . Edwin letter uploaded OK

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 March 19 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sue,

I  bought copy of 2 legal files from QSA relating to land  in Rockhampton gg gfather had spent  500 pounds on purchasing back in 1863

The probate application was sourced from VIC PRO ( found by a Rootschater)

Bye
Emilypos

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 March 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Emilypos,

I am becoming confuddled by your replies, particularly this one addressed to me. 

Dear JM,

Not aware of not answering any questions ? I did try to upload copy of both legal docs  didnt see them in this forum.  Then I scanned just one page of each which seemed the most important but again didnt seem to work . Edwin letter uploaded OK

It was Sue who gently reminded you. 

May I mention though that you have not answered the question I had asked about the terms of payment for the Rockhamption £500 land purchase ... 

Basically, I was asking a rhetorical question.  I don't need to see your document proof, so no need to attach anything. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 March 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
 :D

Mr Google is very handy...

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/suitcase-full-of-history/2840615/

Edwin's granddaughter Amy and her husband (who died in 1948) had lived in a house in Rockampton..... and Amy had sold the home in 1980 .... 

I mention that Qld bdm online index has Amy's 1984 death registration as :
Lilian Amy GRAHAM, daughter of Edwin Robert CARPENTER and Margaret GRAY.  #50917.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 March 19 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear JM

Aunty Amys suitcase finding me  was an amazing event  All due to sheer luck and perseverance of Martin FISHER, of Elders Real Estate , Woombye  Qld  .  This suitcase was left in her house after she died . Was sold and sold again  and this suit case got moved too    till it eventually found Martin who is into family history . He thought he's have a go and finding someone who was interested in this family and found me  Contained  many letters ....... everyone in the family wrote to Aunty Amy  plus a couple of photos .

Emilypos

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps that Qld Real Estate Agent with family history penchant also has excellent knowledge to share re the historic conveyancing practices for Queensland....  ;D and may well know how to research the land that Edwin Reuben CARPENTER purchased from a private vendor for £500 back in the 1860s which hopefully will provide you with the answer to your question pose in your topic heading ....

JM