Author Topic: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?  (Read 6703 times)

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Ballarat Did he rob a bank?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM

According the  receipts within both legal files he paid cash in pounds sterling

Bye
Emilypos

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM

According the  receipts within both legal files he paid cash in pounds sterling

Bye
Emilypos

Yes,  that was legal tender throughout the colonies.

Have you examined the land title deeds to see back  to that purchase .... was it mortgaged,  or encumbered in some financial way ... if so,  who to and what terms/conditions ....

And when it was  disposed of  by Edwin or his estate,  were there encumbrances needing settlement ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Among the webcasts that the State Library of Queensland provides are four on House Histories… 

https://www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections/family-history/family-history-webcasts

So, from 1 Jan 1860 (commencement of Queensland) Colonial Secretary’s Office, then from 9 April 1862  Lands and Works Department and then 8 August 1866 … Lands Department
http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/SeriesDetails.aspx?SeriesId=10397

try
www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/SeriesDetails.aspx?SeriesId=46

and/or
http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/SeriesDetails.aspx?SeriesId=10397

I am not familiar with conveyancing/land title searches etc in Queensland.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Agh …. FindMyPast has indexes for Crown Land Sales In Qld

1862 for Edwin CARPENTER  Deed 3274, Country Land Purchase A Register
Parish of Rockhampton, Southern District, Livingstone County
36 acres, 2 Roods Volume 4, page 313

And also in 1862 for Edwin CARPENTER, Deed 3275, Country Land Purchase A Register
Parish of Rockhampton, Southern District Livingstone County
50 Acres, 2 Roods Volume 4, page 314

And in 1863, Deed 5344 for Edwin CARPENTER, Town Lot B Register
Town of Rockhampton, Parish of Rockhampton, Southern District, Livingstone County
2 Roods Volume 7, page 203

And in 1864 Deed 8847 for Edwin CARPENTER, Town Lot B Register
Town of Rockhampton, Parish of Rockhampton, Southern District, Livingstone County
2 Roods Volume 11, page 31.

JM.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 04:35 GMT (UK) »

And in 1863, Deed 5344 for Edwin CARPENTER, Town Lot B Register
2 Roods Volume 7, page 203

And in 1864 Deed 8847 for Edwin CARPENTER, Town Lot B Register
2 Roods Volume 11, page 31.

JM.

I wonder if these 2 Town Lots were the properties referred to here. Nov 1865
"Rents from Mr Carpenter's  cottages."
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/51565542

In this advertisement in Melbourne in August 1876, Margaret states "four in family"
They might have beenherself, her son Edwin jnr ( did he smoke tobacco as such was stolen with the gold ring ;)) and her daughters Alice and Amelia.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/200232751

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 04:43 GMT (UK) »
 :D

Yes, Sue, I think that's likely to be them...  :D

Rent helps to produce income  :) even if there was no negative gearing write offs  :D available...

The Telegraph, 23 June 1882  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/170212821

.... Name of deceased Proprietor - Edwin Carpenter, late of Rockhampton, painter
Allotments:  75 of Section 57, 4 of Section 67, 1 and 2 of Section 69 and 4 of Section 74 .... Town of Rockhampton ....  Fee simple,  Edwin Robert Carpenter, Eldest Son and heir at law....     

So 'late of Rockhampton' ... and thinking about the Grocer in Melbourne and the legal documents from there re the elusive Edwin ... well perhaps it could be 'beyond the seas' as that would be the way to proceed from the Colony of Victoria to the Colony of Queensland in that era ....  :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 03:36 GMT (UK) »
I may be way off track, but …. Just in case this is Edwin Reuben CARPENTER of Emilypos’ quest:

US Directories, 1869, Oswego, New York.
Town of Mexico, population of over 4000
‘Below are the names of the town officers, and a complete list of the farmers and property owners, with the post office address of each
John C TAYLOR, Supervisor, Mexico
H.M. BARD, Town Clerk, Mexico
……………………………..  (several columns of names in alphabetical order by surname with a number and then the township …. Mexico or Colosse or Texas or Union Square)
……
Edwin R CARPENTER, 64 Mexico
……
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico,_New_York

JM

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying  JM, but this fellow is too old  " my" Edwin R CARPENTER was b  c1827, Jay Essex Co NY.  His father Cyrus and his 3 sisters lived in Brockport, Monroe Co  NY  Plus a brother allegedly named Darwin , b1823  Jay Essex Co.  Other family lived in Guilford  VT   Alas the good citizens of Jay werent into keeping  Vital records till some time later   
Edwins sort of stepmother , Jane,  came from Oswego  area
Family history can have tangled web ..............

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:33 GMT (UK) »
I apologise for butting into this quite late, but I think the original question was - where did he get the money?

Ballarat in 1856, this was not too long after the Eureka Stockade of December 1854.  Gold mining was still quite shallow at this time and some lucky parties were able to make their fortune rather easily.

Alternatively, fortunes were made in supplying consumables, liquor, accomodation, transport etc to a rapidly expanding community hell bent on digging and nothing else.

He was a ratepayer in Ballarat in December 1856, perhaps suggesting he came to town already with the money.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk