Author Topic: Which name is correct  (Read 681 times)

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which name is correct
« on: Friday 08 March 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I am sure versions of this question have been asked before on RoosChat but I cannot find anything. South Dublin Workhouse records confirm that Bridget Byrne the second daughter of Ellen Byrne was born there on 23rd August 1880. Her elder sister Mary was born at the same workhouse in 1879 and younger sister Anne in the same place in 1882 with both births registered by the workhouse officer in the Rathdown District.
I can only assume that the workhouse officer had a few drams of the amber nectar before he registered the birth of Bridget because first it was registered in South Dublin and then he used mother Ellen's maiden name (Ward) as the family name and made Byrne the mother’s maiden name so we ended up with John Ward instead of John Byrne as the father and Ellen Byrne instead of Ellen Ward, all other details including the date of birth and the father residing at Naas are correct.
My question therefore is which name is correct by law, she is recorded as Bridget Byrne in the 1901 census and on her marriage certificate but as Bridget Ward on her birth certificate, does this in theory make her marriage wrong or is it just viewed as a genuine mistake.
GedB

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which name is correct
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
It's just an error and could had she know been corrected by affidavit at any time.
My grand uncle was registered as Jane and female, corrected by his brother about 40 years later, being registered as female didn't make him a girl ;D.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 19 15:10 GMT (UK) »

My question therefore is which name is correct by law.....

The one used on Birth Cert!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 March 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
The name she was known by! ;D

Certainly under the Laws of England & Wales, and probably Ireland too, a person can call themselves anything they like!
Just as long as there is no intention to deceive or defraud.

A Deed Poll wasn't, and isn't necessary.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)