Author Topic: William Parry, mariner, Portmadoc  (Read 1805 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Parry, mariner, Portmadoc
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 March 19 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Been to the cemetery. Grave not where it shows on plan.
They've dumped grass cuttings etc on grave with result that ground level is raised and last part of inscription is not visible. I managed to uncover part - will return to  uncover the rest.
There are errors in the transcription:
1.  The '--NE claddwyd' needs to be deleted and replaced with, 'ac a Gladdwyd yno'. So 'died at Portland and was buried there'. Date should read April 16th, not 10th.
2.  Henry's death year is 1864 not 1844.
3. Haven't uncovered Jane's death date and age - will return with spade.

Plan shows a Row B101 by central path to B113 by boundary wall. In fact there's another grave, B114 at the end (William Parry's family). The next Row starts with B115 - not B114 as shown on plan. The order in the inscription page is also wrong. True order is B113 - Dorothy,   B114 - William Parry,  End of Row:   next Row B115 - Flat stone, no inscription,   B116 - Jane . The first grave in the next Row is one you'll be familiar with, Ellis Owen, Cefnymeusydd.

Intend going to Caernarfon Archives next week (only open Wed.- Fri. now). If the Endeavour's, records are there, I'll have a look at them.
Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Parry, mariner, Portmadoc
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 March 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr
Thank you for the further information and going to so much trouble. With regard to the alteration to the inscription this is puzzling since the transcription of the cemetery took place in 1983 by Mr J Kidd. Encil, Pentrefelin. As far as I understood all Jane's grandchildren including my Grandmother had all passed away by late 1960's. So who was concerned enough to have the change carried out?
Henry's death date now makes sense. Please don't go to too much trouble to verify the dat of Jane's death since the transcription seems to agree with the PR.
My cousin Peris visited the church a couple of years ago during an open day and sent a photograph of Ellis Owen's grave which was very impressive. I was interested to read in Y Gestiana that for many years there was no stone on the grave.
I understand from Keith Parry that the archives gave all the ships logs etc to a museum in Nova Scotia.
Thank you again Emyr.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland