Author Topic: Frustrated!!  (Read 268 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frustrated!!
« on: Friday 08 March 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Where am I going wrong?! I seem to have exhausted everywhere to try to find a marriage between a Thomas Morris and Martha Ikin. They had a daughter Mary in April 1851 in Liverpool. Highly likely to have been born in the city and married here.

The only IKIN I can find is a Martha who, in 1843 married a LINSEY. So, I thought maybe he may have died and she remarried under that name but...hit a brick wall that way too!!!

I then thought maybe it's a typo and IKIN could be AIKIN? Struggling in this direction too.

Fairly confident this was a CoE marriage.

Any help or tips gratefully received. Having just fished my way through Owens and Brown surnames I thought Ikin was going to be 'easy!!'  ;)

Thank you
Mx

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Presumably she is the Mary Morris baptised 4 July 1851 at St Mary Edge Hill, to Thomas (labourer) and Martha, of Finch Place?

You say the parents were "highly likely" to have been born locally - but have you found them in any census for evidence of that?  What was the address at which Mary was born in April 1851 - and have you looked to see who was there on census night, 30 March 1851?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I see that Joseph Linsey and Martha nee Ikin had a daughter Catharine in 1844 (baptised Catholic).  Have you traced them after that to see whether it might be the same Martha?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 March 19 16:34 GMT (UK) »
See what you mean avm. I guess I've assumed always Liverpool as, well...nobody really seemed to move from the same area!! I suppose at some point they could have come into the city.

Having done a search on Ikin/Morris nationally though I'm struggling still... Thomas is on Mary's birth cert as a 'Miner' By the time she marries in 1871, he is a Joiner...

Mx

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 March 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
You may already have this but there is a Martha Ikin born Liverpool 1828
may be who you are looking for - would she have been too young to have been the Martha married in 1843?

Martha Ikin
Born   Lancashire
Hundred:   Liverpool
Abraham Ikin   75
Ann Ikin   40
Ann Ikin   10
Martha Ikin   13

Source Citation
Class: HO107; Piece: 557; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Liverpool; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 31; Page: 15; Line: 6; GSU roll: 306939

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 March 19 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks LMFAO,

She is the one who marries a LINSEY (their cert shows Abraham as the Father) Not the one (I think) that marries Thomas Morris...  ???

M