Author Topic: Merritt family of Wymering/Widley Hampshire  (Read 479 times)

Offline Decker21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merritt family of Wymering/Widley Hampshire
« on: Friday 08 March 19 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage for Thomas Merrett to Sarah around 1805/6. Thomas’s 1st wife Elizabeth Wallis died 1802 Wymering. Thomas & Sarah had several children christened at Widley & Wymering with the surname Merrett between 1806 & 1825. Thomas was buried 1827 Wymering. I have found some useful information on the knightsroot site but unfortunately it does not cover marriages for this period. The eldest son George christened at Widley 17 Aug 1806 marries in 1849 using the surname Wallace Merrett, two of the daughters marry on the same day at Portsea in 1841 one using the surname Wallace Merrett and the other using the surname Wallace. Both give there father as Thomas. In 1847 the youngest daughter Louisa marries at Portsea using the surname Wallace, father Thomas. Very confusing. It could be that Sarah was also a Wallis/Wallace and/or that Thomas never married her. If anyone has access to the marriage records for Widley/Wymering I would be grateful and it would help a lot to know if there was ever a marriage.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merritt family of Wymering/Widley Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Merret married Elizabeth Wallis in Widley 4 April 1790.

The only marriage I can see for a Thomas Merret to a Sarah was to a Sarah Griffin and took place 13 October 1806 in Brown Candover some 20 miles or so from Widley.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Decker21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Merritt family of Wymering/Widley Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information. It doesn’t seem likely as their first child was christened at Widley in August 1806 but I will keep a note of it just in case. Thank you for your help.