Author Topic: John William Lee  (Read 2926 times)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John William Lee
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 19 21:26 GMT (UK) »
How do you know the birth month - do you have the birth certificate?

I don't have a birth certificate, the date has been sourced from one of the well known genealogy sites.

A

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 19 21:32 GMT (UK) »
How do you know the birth month - do you have the birth certificate?

I don't have a birth certificate, the date has been sourced from one of the well known genealogy sites.

These don’t give you a birth month though (unless you find a baptism register annotated with the birthdate) - they give a quarter in which the birth which was registered, which could be up to 6 weeks after the birth.

So if his birth was registered in the 3 months from July-September 1882, he could have been born as early as the second half of May.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 19 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just received a copy of the birth certificate that my cousin has, the birth date for JWL was 14 June 1882, he was born at 46 George St West Blackburn.
You are correct the July date was when the birth was registered by his father John Lee, mother was Annie Lee (nee Moran).

A

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 19 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I see that there was another John William Lee birth reg in Blackburn, Jun qtr 1881, with mother’s maiden name Hewitt.  I wonder whether he might be the one aged 19 in Darwen in 1901 - have you been able to rule out that possibility?

Hi

No I haven't ruled it out yet, it could be that his mothers maiden name is Hewitt & not Moran as originally assumed by me, that's something I need to check.

A

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 March 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Anyway if he was born in July 1882 then he was 8 (not yet 9) on 5 April 1891, so there’s nothing wrong with the age in the Blackburn workhouse census record suggested upthread.  If they got his birthplace wrong it may just be an error - whoever filled in the schedule on behalf of the workhouse had a major task on their hands and no doubt there was room for error as to the birthplaces of pauper inmates.

Hi
I think you may have something here, the birth date & age do fit & they could have made a mistake thinking he was born in Liverpool but if the Pauper's birth place was registered as Liverpool, I would have thought that the Blackburn workhouse management at some stage would have tried to take him back to the Liverpool workhouse for them to try & find the Pauper's family, perhaps they did, who knows?

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

You could contact Lancashire Archives, they hold some records from the Blackburn Workhouse,

http://archivecat.lancashire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=HRBQ

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 March 19 22:08 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

You could contact Lancashire Archives, they hold some records from the Blackburn Workhouse,

http://archivecat.lancashire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=HRBQ

Regards,
Daisy

I have planned to go to Lancashire Archives library next week, meanwhile I have been trying to find out what happened to John William Lee's father John Lee, after his wife Annie Lee died in Blackburn 13th July 1884, John Lee  just seems to have vanished as I can't find him anywhere in the 1891, 1901 or 1911 censuses.

A

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 March 19 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Is this his birth registration?

John William Lee, mother’s maiden name Moran, Sep qtr 1882 Blackburn.

May be of interest to  note there are a number of Lee children with mother's maiden name Moran born in Liverpool and West Derby either side of 1882

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 March 19 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Is this his birth registration?

John William Lee, mother’s maiden name Moran, Sep qtr 1882 Blackburn.

May be of interest to  note there are a number of Lee children with mother's maiden name Moran born in Liverpool and West Derby either side of 1882

I don't think this family is connected to my John William Lee, I have confirmed his date of birth in Blackburn on the previous post reply #11.

His mother Annie Lee died on 13/7/1884 also in Blackburn, her husband John Lee my John William Lee's father was 41 in 1884 but he appears to have disappeared as stated in my last post.