Author Topic: Baptisms in Lettermore  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms in Lettermore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 March 19 12:17 GMT (UK) »

From family records in the United States, there were two more children born during the period 1870 to 1881 of which I can find no record, making it eight children born in Ireland.

For the 2 children whose civil births you can’t find, have you searched leaving the forename blank? At that period quite a few births were registered with no forename. They show up in the indexes as UNKNOWN. You should be able to tell from the parents names and townland whether it’s the right family or not.
Elwyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »

From family records in the United States, there were two more children born during the period 1870 to 1881 of which I can find no record, making it eight children born in Ireland.

For the 2 children whose civil births you can’t find, have you searched leaving the forename blank? At that period quite a few births were registered with no forename. They show up in the indexes as UNKNOWN. You should be able to tell from the parents names and townland whether it’s the right family or not.

....also, with 6 found you should have some idea of years for the missing two during the period 1870 to 1881, so just put Surname, Year, Birth  and search for Civil Reg!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Marcello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the advice. I have done all of that several times, including surname variants but have not found them. I've come to the conclusion that they may not have been registered, as I know from the past is a possibility. As I am searching in particular for one of these two children, that's why I was keen to find a baptismal record.

I have also taken two other birth records (possibly neighbours as they were registered on the same day in Oughterard) from the relevant Civil Registration pages that I found, with addresses in the same townland. I have looked on F*** M* P*** for a record of those. Assuming that they were RC baptisms, there doesn't seem to be a record of those either.

As I wrote earlier, there are two microfilms for baptisms in Lettermullin for the same period. I am guessing now that there may be an additional book of Church records which is not available. I thought somebody who has previously researched Lettermore could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks to those who have offered advice.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »

Did you click on "More Information" at bottom of homepage for Parish which tell you all the existing registers?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »

Offline Marcello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »
No, I didn't click on that. Thanks, Hallmark. I will go back and have another look.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »

Much more beneficial for you to know that Link is available for whatever Parish as many don't know it is there!   ;D

It answer any question about what Registers exists.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »

So....with that area being a very strong Gaelic speaking area, even today. could they gave been registered under Gaelic name??

;D ;D

Offline Marcello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look at the link. It certainly opens up some new possibilities, thanks. I had assumed because nothing appeared online (for the non-subscription one) that the record wasn't there. It might be worth a trip to the Glasnevin centre which I've been talking about doing for a long time anyway. The family are very happy to have the siblings' records and a placename, but of course it would be even better to find the record of their direct ancestor.

I did think of the Irish surnames, given that it is a Gaeltacht area. All of the entries appear to be in English. I'm sure that this added to the variations in surname spellings too.