Author Topic: 59 Crantock Road Greenlaw  (Read 2194 times)

Offline gemmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Smile and the world smile's with you
    • View Profile
59 Crantock Road Greenlaw
« on: Saturday 09 March 19 04:59 GMT (UK) »
An ancestor travelling by ship in 1930 from Sydney to tilbury UK gave his proposed address in the UK as Greenlaw, Berwickshire, 59 Crantock Rd. Is there PO directories that would give me the name of the family living at that address?  Thanks Gemmac

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 59 Crantock Road Greenlaw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 19 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Post Office directories are online in the digital gallery of the National Library of Scotland https://www.nls.uk/ but not as late as 1935.

Valuation rolls are online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - the index is free to search and should give you the answer you are looking for.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gemmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 19 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info ... will check this out. Gemmac

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
There is not, nor ever has been a Crantock Road in Greenlaw. Would he have had any reason to invent an address? 'Crantock Road' is a very suburban and very English-sounding address- the nearest one appears to be in Newcastle, though I don't know whether it was there in the 1930s. ???

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »
How very odd!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gemmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sunlaw no crantock road in greenlaw berkshire so I discovered yesterday when checking out the info I had received. I was wondering if there was a spelling mistake. I do not know how to find a listing of streets in greenlaw in 1930.

John was from scotland and was returning to visit family after 10 years.
Gemmac

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I do not know how to find a listing of streets in greenlaw in 1930.
The Valuation Rolls contain a list of all addresses.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »
The streets in Greenlaw in the 1930s would be Wester Row, High Street, Todholes, Mill Wynd, Church Street, Marchmont Road and Duns Road. Only the High Street would possibly number as high as 59. I wonder if the '59 Crantock Road' is actually attached to the next person on the list?

The valuation rolls for 1935 seem to name only the street, without numbers, as far as I can see.
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline gemmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 March 19 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Just had another look at the shipping page and it reads (line above) C/- of Brown High street. (opposite the name reads)Greenlaw Berkshire. (Line below reads) 59 Crantock road. So it must be c/-Brown High street Greenlaw Berkshire. Hmm Still do not know who the Brown Family are. I need some first names. Thanks for the replies.