Author Topic: Delanlyon - Tomintoul - Kirkmichael  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Delanlyon - Tomintoul - Kirkmichael
« on: Saturday 09 March 19 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Does any have any info on Delanlyon - Tomintoul and the families that lived there say in the 1700's even before if it was going - anything will do as I am just trying to build up a picture of the place and does it stand stand today to merit a visit even if in ruins . . .

Where is Delnalyon or Delnalion - well it stands near to Lagganvoulin Tomintoul near to the river Conglass - further up was the Findron stead and anyone having familes there also - Tobain - Gulrigg - Delachule and Auchbegg - the time period must anything prior to 1800's 

Anyone got a tale to tell in regard of their family living there - no matter whose family it is and any old photo's going would be amazing with any history that goes to the photo's would even more amazing - cheers Indy 

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Delanlyon - Tomintoul - Kirkmichael
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Does any have any info on Delnalyon - Tomintoul and the families that lived there say in the 1700's even before if it was going - anything will do as I am just trying to build up a picture of the place and does it stand today to merit a visit - even if in ruins . . .

Where is Delnalyon or Delnalion - well it stands near to Lagganvoulin Tomintoul near to the river Conglass - further up was the Findron stead and anyone having family there also - Tobain - Gulrigg - Delachule and Auchbegg - the time period must anything prior to 1800's and a place called Glenmullie and its lodge - has anyone had family who lived there or worked for Glenmullie . . .

Anyone got a tale to tell in regard of their family living there - no matter whose family it is and any old photo's going would be amazing with any history that goes to the photo's would even more amazing - cheers Indy

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 21:04 BST (UK) »
Indy, Yes it is still a fully functional house.  It was the gamekeepers house.  Substantial looking building on the floodplain of the conglass.  On old maps there were several buildings, but just the one now. 

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 19 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rowanali - the gamekeeper's house sounds interesting as the Shaw's and the McGregors though up as farmers seemed to have done a lot of gamekeeping too in their day - so glad to hear it is still standing . . .

In the hunt of Betty McGregor I only have this . . .

If Betty was Elizabeth or Margaret by birth . . .

Elizabeth McGregor - Malcom Mcgregor/Margt. Burges - 03/03/1818 - Tomintoul - (16)

Margaret McGrigor - Gregor McGrigor - 5/2/1806 - Tomintoul - (28)

Making them either 16 or 28 at the time of James Stuart's birth in 1834

James Stuart - William Stewart - Lagganvoulin - Betty McGregor - Delachule - 31/7/ 1834 - Tom

If I remember right there was not 1 but 3 births by this pair - but don't quote me on this just at the moment until I find the right file on it - as far as I know, all the McGrigor's/McGregors known at that time stem from Gualrigg - Wester/Easter Gualrigg . . .

Hope it helps - Indiana  :P

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 May 19 07:33 BST (UK) »
Indiana, this wee book on Gregor Macgregor) Willox in Gualrig shows him holding part of a kelpie's bridle & a magic stane which he used to work his magic? allegedly!  ;D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gregor-Willox-Warlock-Kirkmichael-Banffshire/dp/0947659331

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 May 19 09:50 BST (UK) »
Indiana, this wee book on Gregor Macgregor) Willox in Gualrig shows him holding part of a kelpie's bridle & a magic stone which he used to work his magic? allegedly!  ;D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gregor-Willox-Warlock-Kirkmichael-Banffshire/dp/0947659331

Bests,
Skoosh.

Bought it Skoosh at a ridiculous price especially as it had a £5 price tag stuck on the back of it -
anyway the ugly mutt belongs to our side of McGregors - his magic was more down to common
sense and as for the Kelpies bridle and stone and I believe a rusty old sword well heaven help me
if I can't see the guys in white coats coming to pick that old man Mcgregor up - he he he . . .  ;D

Indiana who has now learned if she sees a beautiful horse by the waterside to run like hell . . .  :o

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 May 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
I liked the wee story about Willox presenting the Gordon chief with a charm to protect him against gun-fire in the struggle against Napoleon. He placed it around Willox's neck & ordered his new recruits to load their muskets. Willox took to his heels back to Gaulrig!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Enixam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be nice to your ancestors. You'll meet them 1 day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 October 19 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hello all! I am new to this board, although I have been researching my tree for many years. Gregor Willox McGregor was my 5xg-grandfather, his daughter Betty my 4xg-grandmother and her son James Cameron my 3xg-gf. He then had an illegitimate child before his marriage , my 2xg-g/m who was brought up by Betty. Anyway, Indiana, as a little anecdote for you I thought you would maybe like this story of James's death, taken from the Inverness Courier of the 31st May 1855:
"Fatal Accident On Thursday eight-days, James Cameron, residing at Gaulrigg, near Tomintoul, after leaving a sale at eleven o'clock at night, fell over a precipice by the water-side at Aclinachyle, and was killed on the spot. In the darkness he had mistaken his way and stumbled over the rock at height of sixty feet from the edge of the burn. "
Not as incredible a story as that of Gregor, whose book has graced my library for a while (oddly the day it arrived was the very anniversary of Betty being tried for being a witch!), but interesting nevertheless. I wonder if perhaps a little whisky had been involved?  ;D
I am heading up to Aberlour on a girls' weekend in a couple of weeks and am hoping to get some free time to visit the area.
Maxine.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 October 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello all! I am new to this board, although I have been researching my tree for many years. Gregor Willox McGregor was my 5xg-grandfather, his daughter Betty my 4xg-grandmother and her son James Cameron my 3xg-gf. He then had an illegitimate child before his marriage , my 2xg-g/m who was brought up by Betty. Anyway, Indiana, as a little anecdote for you I thought you would maybe like this story of James's death, taken from the Inverness Courier of the 31st May 1855:
"Fatal Accident On Thursday eight-days, James Cameron, residing at Gaulrigg, near Tomintoul, after leaving a sale at eleven o'clock at night, fell over a precipice by the water-side at Aclinachyle, and was killed on the spot. In the darkness he had mistaken his way and stumbled over the rock at height of sixty feet from the edge of the burn. "
Not as incredible a story as that of Gregor, whose book has graced my library for a while (oddly the day it arrived was the very anniversary of Betty being tried for being a witch!), but interesting nevertheless. I wonder if perhaps a little whisky had been involved?  ;D
I am heading up to Aberlour on a girls' weekend in a couple of weeks and am hoping to get some free time to visit the area.
Maxine.

Hello Maxine

Welcome to the board . . .  :D

Lovely story this, but on checking on James death i came up with this:

JAMES CAMERON

DEATH:
Reference No.:         NM219982
NAME:          JAMES CAMERON
Date of Birth:        c. 1847
Biography:        LIVED IN TOMINTOUL
Date of Death:             MAY 1855
Place of Death:             NEAR TOMINTOUL
Newspaper:        Page/Column FG - report of fatal accident - 30/05/1855 ¾

No death found on Scotlands people . . .

Looking at the newspaper report it reads as follows:

Fatal Accident On Thursday eight-days, James Cameron, residing at Gaulrigg, near Tomintoul,

As the death occurred on the 30th May what I wonder is the eight-days referring to - anyone with a clue on that one I am sure it will be gratefully received by both Maxine and myself.

1851 CENSUS NEAREST I COULD FIND WAS: address Main Street - Somentone ?

JAMES CAMERON AGED 7 BORN Kirkmichael and Tomintoul
FATHER JOHN CAMERON 37 BORN INVERNESS
MOTHER BETTY CAMERON 36 BORN KIRKMICHAEL

So following on I checked the deaths for a James Cameron 1855 statutory deaths Scotland's People and came up with this:

DEATH1855: JAMES CAMERON (66) MOTHER MCINTOSH - Kirkmichael and Tomintoul

Which seems more suited for a guy coming home from a sale at 11pm at night

But saying that as we have Cameron's and McIntosh's in the family so i am still interested to this person and how he relates to the families of Tomintoul . . .

To Betty McGregor - There is history of the conviction - not sure if it was Betty - but no information  after the conviction was found, any info on that would be grateful received too . . . 

So we have James Cameron aged 66 making his birth about 1789

We have as follows:

BIRTH: JAMES CAMERON - DONALD CAMERON/ISABEL RIACH B: 05/03/1790 - Kirkmichael and Tomintoul

And that is as near as I can get to all of of this . . .

Not sure where you are coming from, but a girl's weekend away in Aberlour be sure to wear some warm underwear and enjoy . . .  ;D