Author Topic: Delanlyon - Tomintoul - Kirkmichael  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Delanlyon - Tomintoul - Kirkmichael
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 October 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
……...a few haufs!  ;D

Welcome to Rootschat Maxine!

Offline Enixam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be nice to your ancestors. You'll meet them 1 day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 October 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me! Yes, the 1855 DC is him. It reads as follows:

Cameron, James. M. 66 years. Born Delnasark, Kirkmichael. Fa: Donald Cameron, Farmer (Dec'd). Mo: Isabella Cameron MS McIntosh (Dec'd). Died May 18th 1855. Place: Auchnahyle. COD: Unknown. Was found dead in the Avon. Buried Kirkmichael. Signed John Cameron, Son.

I believe that the MS of his mother is an error made by John when signing the cert and that the correct surname was RIOCH. James's birth entry, which backs up the death cert by the place of birth, is as follows:

1790, James, son to Donald Cameron, Delnasach by Elizabeth Rioch his spouse was born 5th March.

Donald and Isabella/Elizabeth's other family were:

Issobell 17.5.1788 Kirkmichael & Tomintoul
Robert 17.3.1792 " "
Elspet 16.11.1797 " "
Clementina 10.4.1802 " "

Donald Cameron, Ballinluish, and Issobel  Rioch were married 6th September 1787.

Regarding the "eight-days" mentioned in the obituary, I wonder if it could have simply been a mis-transcription of eighteenth?

"Somentome" is simply a mistranscription of "Tomintoul" from the census! If I remember correctly Betty used Cameron / McGregor variously throughout her life. They are quite a tricky family to research! She is listed as " Elizabeth McGregor, or Willox, held tenement in Tomintoul" in 1841 in "Banffshire: The People And The Lands Part 14 - The Parish Of Kirkmichael Prior To 1850", acc. to FindMyPast.

On another note, I will definitely be packing warm clothes but I may be lucky - last weekend I climbed Beinn Sgritheal in a t-shirt! Fingers crossed the good weather continues. I am only coming from Edinburgh so not too far.

Now, this is really wicked, but when my boys were little I used to tell them I could put spells on them if they didn't behave because of Gregor's genes in me! Hahahahaha!!!!!

It has been a long time since I last did any work on this line so I will need to rummage in my notes to see if I have anything on Betty's court trial.

All the best

Maxine.

Offline Enixam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 October 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
@Skoosh Thank you! A few wee haufs indeed - but maybe not a good idea to then take the scenic route home!  :o :o ;D ;D

Offline Enixam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 October 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
Another anecdote from the press - this time Miss Christina MacGregor, d. 1905.

"DEATH OF AN INTERESTING PERSONALITY—Miss Christina Macgregor, a well known personality in Tomintoul, has just passed away at the age of 80 years. She was the last survivor of the family of Gregor Willox Macgregor of Gaulrigg, who could trace their descent back it is said, for five hundred years. She possessed many heirlooms of ancient times, amongst them being a broadsword carried by an ancestor at the battle of Bannockburn. She Had also a very old bible, and some letters of the sixteenth century addressed to the head of the clan."

(Banffshire Herald, 12 Aug 1905).