Author Topic: Joseph William Chapman Artist  (Read 2921 times)

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph William Chapman Artist
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 March 19 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I ordered death certificates for 2 Joseph Chapmans who died in Southwark and they both turned out to be painters.

1. Joseph Chapman died St Saviour 1864 aged 47 (I believe he was the husband of Sophia) - committed suicide 21/2/1864 by drowning.  An inquest was held and the jury decided he drowned himself whilst suffering temporary insanity.  He was a house painter and decorator.

2. Joseph Chapman died 20/3/1883 aged 73.  He died in St Olave's Union Infirmary from paralysis and senile decay.  He was a "painter from Bermondsey".  There are no family details.  He doesn't appear in the 1881 census for St Olave Union.  This could be the Joseph who was the father of James William Chapman as he was alive in 1877 when James married the first time but had died by the time James re-married in 1890.  I can't find any census info for this Joseph though.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 March 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
2. Joseph Chapman died 20/3/1883 aged 73.  He died in St Olave's Union Infirmary from paralysis and senile decay.  He was a "painter from Bermondsey".  There are no family details. 

This chap was buried at Brookwood Cemetery, 27 March 1883
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG8Z-5T49

St Olave's Union Register of Relations
admission 29 Sep 1881
Joseph Chapman
age 72
last resident 22 Martin Street Bermondsey
cause Paralized
relatives None Known
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C39V-2S6C-K?i=380&cat=1121681

1881 census, Bermondsey
22 Martin Street, includes
Joseph Chapman, 62, Painter
and Kate Chapman, 53
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27Q-8BMC

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 March 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
1. Joseph Chapman died St Saviour 1864 aged 47 (I believe he was the husband of Sophia) - committed suicide 21/2/1864 by drowning.  An inquest was held and the jury decided he drowned himself whilst suffering temporary insanity.  He was a house painter and decorator.

Newspaper reports of the inquest
i.e. Reynolds News, 28 Feb 1881
MELANCHOLY SUICIDE.—On Tuesday, Mr. William Carter, coroner for East Surrey, held an inquest at the Duke's Head, Leman-street, St. Saviour's, on the body of Joseph Chapman, a house painter and decorator, aged forty-seven, of No. 3, Durham-place, Pepper-street, who committed suicide by drowning himself...

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Johnw65 for this information.

It does seem a little odd that less than 6 months after the census was taken Joseph was admitted into St Olaves and there was no relative information.  Maybe his wife died and there was no one else to look after him.  Will try to find other records for Joseph and Kate.

Susan