Author Topic: Celia King and John Turner marriage  (Read 1289 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Celia King and John Turner marriage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention I am also considering that the name of her father on the death record could be incorrect.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Celia King and John Turner marriage
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 23:36 GMT (UK) »
After looking back at a previous post I made as well as this one, where someone suggested her father was Charles Wissett King I believe I have figured out most of this story. Charles Wissett King is most likely Celia King's brother. Why he is listed as Celia's father is a mystery but I think due to the story below Celia may have not wanted to share the real one. Charles was born in 1796 to William King (tailor) and Anne Wissett and was a shoe-bootmaker by trade. I ordered a CD from the Suffolk Family History Society and this proved to be money well spent. It seems that Anne Wissett and William King had at least 6 children (7, if Celia isn't in the list below-did she go by her middle name?? as their is no Celia King born around 1806 in the CD). Henry Wm 1793, Charles Henry 1796, Isaac 1798, Mary 1803, Susannah 1805 (her descendants are my DNA matches), and Elizabeth 1813. Celia's age could be wrong on the death certificate and she could by "Mary" who hasn't been found after her birth. The rest of the children are accounted for with early deaths and/or marriages. Several of the siblings have daughters named Celia. It seems that Anne and William were not married as some of the entries imply they were. Some of the children have "base born" or  bastard in their entry. Anne was the daughter of Henry Wissett and Ann Child. Anne's parents were dead before she was 14. She became a tailor. She must have been a strong woman as she owned property and raised all of the children (some went by King, King Wissett and Wissett King). I was also lucky enough to find a newspaper account of a will in which Anne testifies and says if someone addresses her as "Mrs King" she does not correct them but is in the newspaper as Anne Wissett.  I now have DNA on a website and I match several decedents of the children of Anne Wissett and William King (Susannah King Wissett being one line). This evidence points right back to Anne as the common descendent. If anyone is interested in these findings feel free to PM me and thanks to everyone for the help. Maybe one day Celia's birth record will show up or maybe she is "Mary" Celia.
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton