Author Topic: Which regiments was he in?  (Read 345 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which regiments was he in?
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hope someone may be able to help me.  I have the discharge document from Find My Past for  William Holly born 1776.  It states he was in the Inverness Fencibles from 10 Jul 1795 to 9 Jul 1802 (Part of the binding hides a word before Inverness).  Am I correct in thinking that the Inverness Fencibles was the Inverness Shire Fencibles formed on 21 Nov 1794 and disbanded in March 1802 at Stirling?  If so why was he not discharged until Jul 1802?

He later enlisted in the 97th Regiment on 8 October 1804 and served until 10 Feb 1818.  There seem to be a number of 97th Regiments and I am not sure which one he was in.  I'd be grateful for some guidance on this issue too.

Many thanks
Kessa
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which regiments was he in?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
His regiment at discharge was the 97th Regiment of Foot, raised as the 98th in 1804 and renumbered as the 97th in 1816. He appears on a muster roll of the 98th in 1814. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
https://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/fencibles/c_fencibles2.html

See "Loyal Inverness Highlanders Regiment of Fencible Infantry" and Column "Dates in Existence"

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 19 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks ShaunJ for checking the muster and explaining which regiment William Holley was in.  And also to hanes teulu for the great website on the Fencibles.

Much appreciated.
Kessa
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia