Author Topic: Whixall Chapel Baptisms  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Whixall Chapel Baptisms
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have discovered some of my family were baptised at Whixall Chapel and that these records are either missing or not available online. Does anyone have any information or access to these?

Stephen Bennion's marriage record confirmed he was baptised there but the record couldn't be found to prove his age.

There are a few baptisms for the family in Whitchurch, but many gaps. Wills have given me a name of a number of children, which I can not find the baptisms.

It is the family of John and Anne Bennion, who were having children between 1779 and about 1803.
Thomas, William, Maria, Martha, Ann, John, Robert, Randle, Jane, Samuel, James, Charles, Catherine and Stephen.

Non-conformist records being difficult as per!
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whixall Chapel Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/PreesWhixall.html

Prees,
Whixall Independent Chapel.
1805-1823.

The Register consists of three volumes.

Volume I., which measures 8 1/2 inches high and 7 inches broad, is a thick book bound in green cloth boards. It contains entries of Births and Baptisms from 1805 to 1823, but many entries are torn away and others illegible. It is in a bad state of repair, stained and soiled. The volume also contains, on 63 pages. texts of the Sermons preached from 13 October, 1805, to 10 September, 1815, Church Accounts, money collected at the Sacrament, cost of bread and wine, money given to the poor, Sunday School accounts (the teachers were paid sums varying from £2 2s. to £3 5s. a year), and Subscriptions for the preaching of the Gospel at Whixall.

Volume II. is a small book, measuring 9 1/4 by 8 3/8 inches, in boards, and contains Baptisms from 1823 to 1837, and is in good condition.

Volume III. is a small book, measuring 7 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches. in boards, and is also in good condition and legibly written. It contains entries of Births and Baptisms from 1811 to 1837.

1818 Apr. 26. Ann, d. of Samuel & Elizabeth Benyon, Township of Tilstock, p. Whitchurch ... bap.

Only entry I can find.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. Is there nothing prior in 1805 then?
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. Is there nothing prior in 1805 then?

http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/PreesWhixall.html

These Registers are No. 51 of the Shropshire Non-Parochial Registers preserved at Somerset House.

The Chapel was founded in 1790, but was presumably enlarged or rebuilt and opened on 13 October. 1805. The following is the entry about the opening:-

Texts preached at the New Chapel. 1805, October 13. My new Chapel was opened. Mr. Everal began the service with Reading. Mr. Edwards prayed. Mr. Ralphs, of Liverpool, preached from Isaiah 60th chapter, latter part of the 7th and 8th verse. " And I will glorify the House of my Glory. Who are these that fly as a cloud, and as the doves to their windows."

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:12 GMT (UK) »
http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/WhitchurchDodingtonPresbyterian.html

The Register
of
Dodington Presbyterian
Chapel,
Whitchurch,
1708-1812.

Benyon 37 matches.

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 19 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Brill! Thanks very much.

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Is this the Stephen Bennion that married Martha Ikin in 1823? She died 1827 buried Whixall CofE and left daughter Elizabeth Bennion who is my husband`s gtgtgrandmother. I found a marriage license for Stephen Bennion widower 1831, to Mary Webb, at Hodnet, but then lost all trace. Are you descended from the 2nd marriage?? Or have I missed a child from the first marriage? There was a John born and buried 1826 that I know of.
Jackie

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
It is indeed! I am descended from Stephens brother Samuel. He is my great x4 grandfather.