Author Topic: Newcastle Evening Chronicle 2nd Sept 1954, page 16, col 2  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle Evening Chronicle 2nd Sept 1954, page 16, col 2
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Needy is back again, sorry!

If anyone can either make out the third notice down in this edition -  col 2 (deaths) which appears to be 'perhaps' for McGargle  - on the online version (BNA / FindMyPast) 

or has some time if they visit the Library to see if the microfilm is any more readable I'd really like to know if this is for Mary Ellen McGargle (nee Dolan), wife of George McGargle.

I am utterly failing to read the online one, but do think its likely to be her, she was buried 4th Sept at Saltwell.

Thanks

Boo

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Evening Chronicle 2nd Sept 1954, page 16, col 2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 19 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the image, your best bet is to hope that the images at the library are better.  On-line are diabolical - not even sure how you found it in the first place  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the image, your best bet is to hope that the images at the library are better.  On-line are diabolical - not even sure how you found it in the first place  :-\

Thanks for looking, pleased its not just me that can't make it out.

Hour upon hour upon hour, since the newspapers came online, spent trying to find something in the  (often dire) stuff means I can usually spot what 'may' be a name badly scanned. I could be wrong about this one, but I have hopes that it is what I am looking for.
Sometimes they are readable, sometimes not. Though it must appear that I am a bit lazy and rely on help from others to do look ups, I do find most myself and can mostly make them out. Awful though the online stuff is, its still better than nothing, at least in this case I can identify an edition and page to ask for a lookup.

I'd much rather it was scanned properly though (especially as I pay for access) and then maybe the OCR would work :-)

Boo

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for this, BUT - how do we know it wasn't scanned properly, or even where the images came from? 

Unfortunately, nowadays, we all take too much for granted, and don't make any allowances.   :-X

I'll now shut up and go away!

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
This is the death:
Deaths Sep 1954 
McGargle    Mary    74    Durham N.E.    1a   387

The image in the Deaths column does seem to have [at end of 2nd line]
aged 'X4 years'
and [beginning of 3rd line]
Mary
and I think I can see 'gargl' in the middle....
It comes between M[c]cDonald & ?Mordey. 

As this is a lookup board I can't attach an image.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 19 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for this, BUT - how do we know it wasn't scanned properly, or even where the images came from? 

Unfortunately, nowadays, we all take too much for granted, and don't make any allowances.   :-X

I'll now shut up and go away!

No need apologise, we all have different opinions.
Mine is based on the fact that (according to the BNA site), they started a good while back to scan from microfilm rather than original newspaper because it was 'quicker'.
I can compare scans of prints I took at Newcastle years ago to what is on the website - if old technology such as microfilm can produce readable text then for the modern equipment they have now it should be a doddle. As the results they publish are unreadable I really think that quality has been sacrificed for the 'quality' they claim. Its just my opinion, others may vary.
Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 19 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking josey
Yes that is the correct death registration and I too spotted the x4 years plus the shape and length of the name does look right (to me at least).
It ticks boxes for date as I can see her in the Burials index for Saltwell on Family search which gives a burial date of Sept 4th.

Will wait to see if anyone has time at the library to see if the film is any better.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 March 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I will do this look up for you.  I think I should be able to make the library just before closing at some point before the end of next week.

Hopefully, the scan will show up better on the microfilm.  Will be back in touch about this soon. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 March 19 12:29 GMT (UK) »
thanks RTL, there's no hurry, just whenever you have the time.

Boo