Author Topic: James and Fanny Whysall, photo taken pre-1930. Can anyone restore?  (Read 143 times)

Offline soupdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James and Fanny Whysall, photo taken pre-1930. Can anyone restore?
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
i've just identified this photo as my Great Great Grandparents, James and Fanny. It's in a terrble state. Can anything be done for it?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: James and Fanny Whysall, photo taken pre-1930. Can anyone restore?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
When your attempt at a restore is not that great, crop it out, blot it out, blur it out, dress it up with a fancy border etc and hope nobody notices. ;D
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline soupdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thats wonderful! Thank you very much --- you had a very poor original to work with, and you've given me a good look at James's face. They are the same age, but Fanny looks so much older -- she bore 10 children, and lost 5, I reckon that would age anyone.

Looking at James, I now think another unlabelled photo may be him....will have to go look.

Thank you once more,    Kim

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim, welcome to the photo restoration board, you've chosen a  very difficult photo as your starter  :) :)  As Peter says on photos like this you have to blur it a bit  and dress it up. I was trying to make out what Fanny had her hands on resting on her knee, the only thing I could think of was a huge plant pot, do you think that's possible?  Anyway here is my interpretation, see what you think.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline soupdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 19 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trishanne,  Yes it's a poor photo isn't it? I'm amazed that you can get something out of it!  Thanks!  :)

I really cant see if Fanny is holding anything... perhaps she is resting her hands over a large stomach?