Author Topic: James and Fanny Whysall, photo taken pre-1930. Can anyone restore?  (Read 539 times)

Offline soupdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James and Fanny Whysall, photo taken pre-1930. Can anyone restore?
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
i've just identified this photo as my Great Great Grandparents, James and Fanny. It's in a terrble state. Can anything be done for it?

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: James and Fanny Whysall, photo taken pre-1930. Can anyone restore?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
When your attempt at a restore is not that great, crop it out, blot it out, blur it out, dress it up with a fancy border etc and hope nobody notices. ;D
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline soupdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thats wonderful! Thank you very much --- you had a very poor original to work with, and you've given me a good look at James's face. They are the same age, but Fanny looks so much older -- she bore 10 children, and lost 5, I reckon that would age anyone.

Looking at James, I now think another unlabelled photo may be him....will have to go look.

Thank you once more,    Kim

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim, welcome to the photo restoration board, you've chosen a  very difficult photo as your starter  :) :)  As Peter says on photos like this you have to blur it a bit  and dress it up. I was trying to make out what Fanny had her hands on resting on her knee, the only thing I could think of was a huge plant pot, do you think that's possible?  Anyway here is my interpretation, see what you think.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline soupdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 19 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trishanne,  Yes it's a poor photo isn't it? I'm amazed that you can get something out of it!  Thanks!  :)

I really cant see if Fanny is holding anything... perhaps she is resting her hands over a large stomach?