Author Topic: Thomas Mushero  (Read 846 times)

Offline GillUns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Mushero
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,  I'm currently at a brick wall.  I'm looking for Thomas Mushrow, born 1821, New Brunswick, Canada.  I can find him married to Fanney Butterfield from USA, and children on later census's.  The earliest I can find him though is 1851 census stating he was 29 and born in the colony he was currently living in.  Unfortunately there are various ways of spelling his surname (Mushrow, mushero, mushro, mishero, mishro, mersereau, mercereau).  He is also listed as Native and I don't know if this means native indian or native to canada.

Sorry if this all seems silly, I'm a bit of a novice,

Thanks, Gill

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mushero
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill, and welcome to RootsChat :)

I'm not familiar with Canadian research, but I've asked the Moderators to move your question to the 'Beginners' board where more people with relevant knowledge will see it.  As the thread develops, it could be moved again to the 'Canada' board if you think that's more appropriate.

Best of luck!

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello, and welcome, Gill!

Is Fanny's first name actually Eleanor?  I saw, as parents to a marriage, a Thomas Mushero and Eleanor Butterfield.  There are several Thomas (Mushero and similiar surnames) in 1851, so tread carefully in choosing the right one!
If you haven't already looked around the New Brunswick archives (BMD), give their surname index search a try.  This link will take you to M, from there you add letters (for example add ush) to get all names starting with that.  Try all different letters, and you will find a lot more variations than you thought!
https://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/NameIndex.aspx?culture=en-CA&letter=M&datasets=012

The nice part is, the image, free to download, is there for anything you find. On a quick hunt, I didn't find anything earlier for Thomas, but you might find some useful things on other family members. 

Normally, on a Canadian census, Native would refer to a First Nations person, HOWEVER, New Brunswick was not yet a part of Canada.  I have sifted through multiple areas in that census in New Brunswick, and in that column, the enumerator was supposed to put race and place of birth.  Some enumerators did just that, but the one doing the area of your Thomas was simply referring to place of birth (lazy so and so!)

In 1861, Thomas was at Harcourt, Kent, New Brunswick.  He was not there in 1871, but the census indicates that a John Mushero, farmer, resided there in that year, but died.  In tracking him around, I found a delayed birth certificate for one of John's children that said he was Scottish.  I mention this only as John could very well be brother, as his birthdate would have been around 1830 (and strangely enough, his wife was Eleanor, and daughter was Fanny.)
In the 1881 census, Thomas refers to himself as English. 

Offline GillUns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, as seen as it's pouring with rain here I think I'll be looking through that today instead of walking the cemeterys, Gill

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 March 19 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Mushrow seems to be alot more common in England ....
http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Mushrow

Wonder how common the surname is in Scotland?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline GillUns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 March 19 11:36 GMT (UK) »
That's fab thank you. The thomas in Liverpool is actually my relative too 😊😊