Author Topic: Old Age Pensioner  (Read 306 times)

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Age Pensioner
« on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:13 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 census my ancestor James Smith is described as an 'old age pensioner'
Am I correct in assuming that this was a retirement pension from a former employer?
He was never in the army.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Old Age Pensioner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
The first state pension in the UK was the Old Age Pension. The law was passed in August 1908 and the first pensions paid on 1 January 1909 to around 500,000 people aged 70 or more. If he was 70 or over he was in receipt of a state pension like pensioners today.
Lloyd, Paddock, Cooper, Morris, Darby, Rigby, Platt, Armstrong. All based in West Midlands

GEDmatch M157477

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, he was 72 and lived until age 90.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
How interesting, Medpat - I didn't know that before.  I had assumed that Old Age Pensions didn't come along until later.  Yet again, have learnt something new from RC today!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
   Passed by the Liberal Government of 1906-1914, and regarded as one of the foundations of modern social welfare. (Wiki) My mother worked in the 1930s for one of the leaders of that government, so I know all about it!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline stansgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I was very lucky to find a photograph on the Cornwall OPC site of the old age pensioners from Albaston after they received their first pension payment.  Among them is my grandads great uncle.
It must have been seen as a great occasion!

Regards
Anne

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 19 00:10 GMT (UK) »
The introduction of the OAP is why many peoples ages are incorrect on the 1911 Census of Ireland, people upped their age in the hope of getting a pension a few years early.
There was no birth Certs in Ireland until 1864 so the 1841 and 1851 censuses were used to determine if a person was old enough, I guess some hoped the 1911 would be used as well.