Author Topic: SMITH family of Coach Trimmers - Lambeth/Southwark early 1800s  (Read 1574 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH family of Coach Trimmers - Lambeth/Southwark early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 March 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Charles Smith was not baptised until 1/11/1837 Christchurch, Southwark - shown as born 19/9/1822 - William a Coach Trimmer and family then living at Webber Street.

Wow this is amazing! I have been looking for this for over a decade! Thank you!

I noted that John Smith was still with mother Jane on 1851 census - now shown bc.1815 St. George's, Surrey (Southwark).

I can't find them in the 1851 census so never seen that at all. Could you please help me find that entry please? I have an ancestry subscription so could you please send me the link at all?!

Looked for his baptism and found that he and a brother were both baptised 30/6/1816 St. George the Martyr, Southwark - William then shown as Coach Maker:

John Walker born 27/9/1814
Thomas Samuel born 20/11/1815

I had seen these but there is another William and Jane having children at the same time and he was also a coach maker. The 1851 census would however seem to confirm John Walker Smith as the sibling of Charles!

Thank you so very much. Rootschat and fresh eyes are amazing!

Jon

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 March 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Another child of William and Jane:

Henry Hugh b.8/11/1820, bp.26/11/1820 St. Saviour, Southwark, son of William Smith, coach trimmer and Jane.

Afraid I can't give you Ancestry reference for John Smith in 1851 - the ref. HO107 Piece 1565, Folio 265 Page 54 brought up nothing on Ancestry so I tried looking for 2 other individuals on the same page who had more distinctive names and they are not there either, so looks like Ancestry have missed this page.   (Strange, because I had the same situation earlier today but in reverse!)

Since you can search by occupation on FindMyPast I checked 1861 census and found a William Smith bc.1811 Southwark who was also a coach trimmer - wonder if he could be the William Huntly Smith bp.22/11/1812 St. George Southwark, son of William and Jane - cannot find online the original page
of this parish register to see what occupation given for William senior.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 March 19 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Thank you so much for all your help. I have now been able to match addresses and connections and track down much more about this Smith family. They have eluded me for so long that I am so pleased!

I have tracked down what happened to Charles Smith's siblings but still some mysteries to resolve, particularly finding the marriage of William Smith and Jane which now looks like must have happened in or before 1809.

I will update with a bit more information I have found in the next few days.

Thanks again,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 March 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
So thanks to this thread I now know my ancestors William Smith, a coach trimmer of Southwark, and his wife Jane had the following children:

1.William Huntley Smith (1810–aft 1861)
2. John Walker Smith (1814–aft 1851)
3. Thomas Samuel Smith (1815–1851) 
4. Henry Hugh Smith (1820–1821)   
5. Charles Smith (1822–1867)

There was another couple called William and Jane Smith who had three children baptised at St Mary Lambeth (Jane 1813, Mary Ann 1815 and Clarissa 1820). William was listed as a coach maker, but the birth dates clash with the above children so they are evidently a separate couple.

I now have the following questions I am trying to answer, and would of course greatly appreciate any further assistance from anyone. Mainly though I am posting this for any other researchers who might come across it in future:

1. When did William Smith and Jane get married? It must have been prior to 1810 but given Jane's year of birth of c1780/1 it could have been from 1802 to 1809. Did she have the maiden name Huntley or Walker?

2. The 1851 census states Jane was born in c1780/1 in St John's, Surrey. Would this be St John Horsleydown?

3. Did William and Jane have other children prior to 1810 and around 1812 and 1817?

4. When did William Smith die? It took place between 1822 and 1841 but I can't find a burial. The 1821 burial of son Henry and 1837 baptism of son Charles show they were then at Webber Street, Southwark and by the 1841 census, Jane was without William with her son at 19 Great Union Street, Southwark.

5. Was their son William Huntley Smith born 1810 and baptised 1812 the same as the William Smith who in 1840 had started to have children with Susannah Langridge? She was aged 20 in the 1841 census at High Street, Sutton, with Landridge relatives. I can't find their marriage which might name his father.

1851 and 1861 census showing William Smith:
www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8860/SRYHO107_1564_1565-0340
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8767/SRYRG9_332_335-0853

6. Who was the John Smith aged 3 with Jane in the 1841 census? Presumably it was her grandson, but no idea who the father was. There is a September 1837 birth for John Smith in St George Southwark with a mother's maiden name of Stiles but can't track the parents' marriage!

1841 census showing Jane Smith, sons John and Charles and assumed grandson John:
www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8978/SRYHO107_1085_1086-0187

7. In 1822 a Charles and Sophia Smith had a son named Henry Hugh Paris Smith baptised at Lambeth. The father was a coachmaker and deceased. Given the name Henry Hugh are the same as William's son born in 1820 and William had a son named Charles, I suspect this Charles Smith was his brother but I cannot find his marriage to Sophia or his burial in 1821/2.

Henry Hugh Paris Smith baptism:
www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1558/31280_195072-00176/

Thanks again for everyone's comments and help.

I am today visiting West Norwood Cemetery where I know Jane Smith was buried in 1854 and her son Charles Smith was buried in 1867. I suspect the grave stone has been removed, but you never know!

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 13:36 BST (UK) »
There's marriage banns for William Smith and Susannah Langridge between March and April 1837 at St. Mary's Church, Beddington, which is quite near to Sutton. Unfortunately no parent names on the Banns.

I don't think certificates started until a couple of months later.
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 16:53 BST (UK) »
There's marriage banns for William Smith and Susannah Langridge between March and April 1837 at St. Mary's Church, Beddington, which is quite near to Sutton. Unfortunately no parent names on the Banns.

I don't think certificates started until a couple of months later.

Hi Mark,

I hadn't found the marriage so this is great. Thanks so much for looking and posting as even if it doesn't have his father's name, it is great to have tracked the marriage down.

Thank you very much,
Jon