Author Topic: Will of LAURENCE DEATH 1576 of SHIMPLING  (Read 638 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of LAURENCE DEATH 1576 of SHIMPLING
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Second half:

...John Death ye younger of my sonnes all my tember & planckes which I have both at

home & in the parke and all my ladders save one littell ladder which I geve to my wife

& I make & ordayne John Death the younger my sole executor & I make & ordayn

Stephe(n) Bema(n) my sup(ro)viser & I geve him for his paynes her in taken a hachit thes

legaces shalbe payd at my mentio(n) house being lawfully demanded In witnes yt

this is my last will & testament I have put to my hand & sealle thes be my witnesses

Randolph Lyster Clearke Stephen Bema(n) & Thomas [Tooe?] w(i)t(h) others

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Again, hd86, thank you for your time and knowledge. Just a couple of queries or clarifications:

1) it seems Laurence had a son John (the elder) who had a son John Laurence's grandson, and also Laurence had another son John (the younger) who became his executor. Is this correct ? I have read elsewhere that two offspring sometimes had the same first name.

2) In Reply No. 8, 2nd line, what is the meaning of "forten" ? I tried looking it up but no reference to it.

3) In Reply No. 8, 4th line, to what does the "eight years" refer ? Is this definitely "eight" as I don't see any other mention of it in the Will ?
Regards, francoso

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 02:39 GMT (UK) »
On further looking, would "forten" be "fortunate"; and "eight" refer to the 4 x 2 year periods between payments to the named beneficiaries: John, Thomas, Jone and Alice/Susan ?
francoso

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:57 GMT (UK) »
1) it seems Laurence had a son John (the elder) who had a son John Laurence's grandson, and also Laurence had another son John (the younger) who became his executor. Is this correct ? I have read elsewhere that two offspring sometimes had the same first name.

I have checked through the original.

He has John Death my elder sonne, mentioned in Snippet #1.

He has John Death ye younger of my sonnes, mentioned in Snippet #2 & #3.  This John should be the one made executor.

The original wording concerning the possible grandson is this:

...Item I geve & bequeth to ye sonne John my sonne one chist & a peulter dish...

There's no of.  This is ambiguous - has an of been omitted or is it just a clumsy way of referring to the son John (which from context would be the elder John)?

So there may or may not be a grandson.  Reading the whole passage - including the best he cane chose - I would lean towards there not being a grandson, because it implies the beneficiary is old enough to choose the best.

2) In Reply No. 8, 2nd line, what is the meaning of "forten" ? I tried looking it up but no reference to it.

forten = fortune.

It's a standard phrase:  fortune to die / fortune to marry

3) In Reply No. 8, 4th line, to what does the "eight years" refer ? Is this definitely "eight" as I don't see any other mention of it in the Will ?

It's almost certainly eight.  The e and the r are similarly formed, but I'm 99.99% certain it's eight.

The meaning is probably as you have said in your Reply #11.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, hd86. That clarifies my queries. Now to trace the named beneficiaries.
Regards, francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Was there anything of interest in the script at the bottom RHS of the Will regarding Probate ? Perhaps it is in Latin ? Anyone able to translate/transcribe ? Thanks on advance.
francoso

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Proved at Bury before Master John De...[?], Doctor of Laws, commissary and designated official, on 5 November 1576, by the oath of the executor. The inventory was examined, total 4 pounds 4[?] shillings [could be 3 shillings]

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the issue of a potential grandson, I have revised my reading of the passage as follows:

...Item I geve & bequeth to ye same John my sonne one chist & a peulter dish...

The vertical line of the a is quite a distance from the round part, making it look like _onn_ more than _am_.

However, if you look at manner on line 5 of #1, the a is formed in the same way.

So there's definitely no grandson.

ADDED:

Same with after in the last line of #1.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox and hd86 for clearing up those queries. Much obliged. francoso