Author Topic: Ancestry message system working??  (Read 525 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry message system working??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Interesting .....

Few weeks back, I happened to spot where someone had grafted my own peeps onto the top of his own, completely unrelated, ones. Honest mistake. Similar names. But, a travesty.

I PM's him proof, via the pit. Was perfectly friendly and suggested we need look into it all.

Nothing.

Maybe this is why  ???

Incidentally, whilst we're on the subject? I now get this:

Every time. Simply refresh the page and I'm good to go.

So many glitches .....  ::)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Interesting .....

Few weeks back, I happened to spot where someone had grafted my own peeps onto the top of his own, completely unrelated, ones. Honest mistake. Similar names. But, a travesty.

I PM's him proof, via the pit. Was perfectly friendly and suggested we need look into it all.

Nothing.

Maybe this is why  ???
I haven't had much luck telling people they have things wrong in their trees however polite I was about it ;D ??? . However none of my messages were of that ilk so all the conversation threads coming to a stop at once doesn't make sense. What's frustrating is not knowing whether some or any of my messages got through, and if they did, whether they replied, and if they did, if their messages actually got through.

Incidentally, whilst we're on the subject? I now get this:

Every time. Simply refresh the page and I'm good to go.

So many glitches .....  ::)
Think I had that one a while back, trees working OK now for me.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Strikes me I'm within my rights to constantly call it " The Pit ", then  ;)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 March 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
My messages seem to be going through OK but cannot invite people to trees and half my historic messages have disappeared!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 March 19 22:52 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth trying to post a message to the Ancestry Facebook Page!  I tried that once when I had a glitch on my tree that I couldn't find a way to rectify!   It's pretty useless trying to enquire about something you're stuck with on your tree if you use the " Contact us" button, you probably won't get a reply. On the Facebook page, your requests or comments are out in the open, so they would have to respond pretty quickly, to save face! Maybe there will be similar requests on there that would help!  Worth a try anyway!

And since the arrival of the DNA testing, they're probably getting lots of questions about those too!
Maybe there will be similar requests.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »
They don't appear to be doing much in the way of responding to facebook page at the moment.  Have found the best way to get them is email - but they take about a week to respond, the 'English' is interesting and it tends to be a 'stock' reply.  Phoning is possible but depends who you get!

Basically I think the whole system is

1. Overloaded and constantly being 'tweaked'
2. Focussed on selling DNA tests rather than old fashioned research
3. Aimed at an American market and largely ignorant of UK geography!

It was much better for research a year ago, but the DNA stuff has produced some interesting results and quite a few new cousins, as well as confirming much of the paper trail; so 'swings and roundabouts'!

At the moment I don't think it is worth paying for but hopefully things will get better eventually.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Received an email on Ancestry today  :o
Lloyd, Paddock, Cooper, Morris, Darby, Rigby, Platt, Armstrong. All based in West Midlands

GEDmatch M157477