Author Topic: DIY colourisation (but with computer help)  (Read 3165 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DIY colourisation (but with computer help)
« on: Monday 11 March 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I have no affiliation to

www.colourise.sg

but my OH discovered the site this weekend and we have had a couple of WOW/amazing/happy hours this weekend going through our old black & white photos.

At times the site does go slow but we are so surprised with the outcomes.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DIY colourisation (but with computer help)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
An interesting find, thanks for sharing. I made some tests and was surprised by the results for skin tones, it does a nearly half decent job for base colours. It does retain the original feel of the photo and does not remove noise/grain etc.

What i would say as someone that likes to colour old photos; Is it does not colour backgrounds and misses a fair few spots on the people subjects, especially where shadows and contrast are darker and also fine detail like jewellery. It does not take into consideration lighting within the environment. It does however deal quite well with the hair colouring, but wouldn't know if someone should be redhead, mousy brown, dark brown etc etc.

It could be a handy tool to kick start the base colours of skin colouring but not much more than that.

I think in the next few years these algorithm based auto colourisation tools will be perfected...

If your photos came out well when playing with them, then that's great and it is indeed amazing to see how some of these BW photos can look with a colour splash  ;) 
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I tried it but found the colourings rather dull.  Just wondering if this is best on the resources board as it's not for a specific request for restoration/dating :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
What surprises me the most is that the link has been posted here where there is a willing band of experienced hand colourists who do this with great attention to detail and really enjoy the hobby. On here, the poster also has the opportunity to chose the colours we use if they wish and also can have extraneous objects removed from their photo. It does have it's uses, but, I don't see the value of it on this forum. I hope we don't lose customers as that could harm the board  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 19 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure Carol that people see the greater need for personal skills from all hand colourists, we can get the perfection in all areas of a restore/colour up - where the tool cannot. As i said above it is more a tool that merely does the base colours....I think we are not out of a job just yet  :) .

As a colourist and avid tech geek, i think it is relevant but if mods see the need to delete or move the post, I get the reasoning  ;D
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Gadget and Treetotal, this does not seem to be the right place for this post.
 I downloaded a similar programme a couple of  years ago and was extremely disappointed in the results and have never used it in any of the colourisations I have done on here. As Treetotal has said, it certainly isn't a substitution for a carefully coloured version like the restorers do on here. We restore the photos first before we even start to think about colours and as Martyn said this programme does not remove noise/ grain etc.
The programme makers admit 'it by no means guarantees that the colourised image is an accurate representation of the actual snapshot' and they go onto say 'it works on some images but not others'
I really think this is the wrong place for the post. I only hope if potential posters try this out, they will realise how good their photos could look if done properly and will post them on here for the experienced colourists to work on them.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 19 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I am always in the minority - but do think people are being over sensitive to the posters link which i think is an interesting and relevant link to the process of colourisation. Like i said if mods are going to move the original posters link they will - and save us all from a tool that cant do the job as good as we can anyway  :D

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The name of the site is RootsCHAT.     

We Rootschatters pass advice/assistance/etc to aid     
amateur genealogists    [ AND SOME PROS ]     
accomplish tasks.     

Part of that assistance scenario is practical, part advice, some experienced, some still need practice.     
Some RC-ers do sterling work converting files, enhancing ( their view/version of ) fotos.The fact that people pass on info regarding new facilities/sites/links to new history resources / etc     
is fantastic.     

I have recently passed on info re "Zoompast" ( def not my involvement )         

Why criticise Dawn and not me?

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
The topic has been relocated.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea