Author Topic: Unusual name: Agrippina  (Read 470 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual name: Agrippina
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 15:49 GMT (UK) »
The only Agrippa I could recall from the Bible was King Herod Agrippa. However, there is a King Agrippa mentioned in "Acts of the Apostles". Name means "born in pain" or born feet first.
I came across Siah in Lancashire registers which seems to have been an abbreviation of Josiah. I thought it might have been Isaiah with initial I missing.
Kezia Dugdale was leader of Scottish Labour Party. Her name has emphasis on 1st syllable. I was inclined to spell it Keziah and emphasise last part.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ada & Joan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The name derives from Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, the friend, general and son-in-law of Augustus. Agrippina the elder, his daughter was the mother of Caligula as Redvanman states - Caligula's sister, Agrippina the younger was the mother of Nero - not good family stock you might say. I've seen similar classical names used in Somerset parishes at the time; goodness knows where they originate,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline redvanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your comments.
With a name like that, I thought tracing her marriage would be simple - but no! She used a shortened version of her name, which in the register appears as "Pynee". Who would have guessed it?
Alyn