Author Topic: Extinct surnames  (Read 692 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Extinct surnames
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Around 1820 Codham variants almost disappear, and Coltham becomes the norm. It is a very local name - I think they all got together and changed it!

If the family lived in a parish for maybe several generations it seems possible to me that the rector or vicar was responsible.  I have worked through registers where the same man was in charge for over 50 years, so he would have settled on his own preferred spelling for families he knew well - probably several strains of them.  In the Victorian period, when more of them had to write their names, that would be the version they probably used.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »
You don't hear of many Hitlers, these days.
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I believe Hitler's nephew gave his son the middle name Adolf. I think they moved to America. Wasn't his sister in law from Ireland?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »
1911 births is the last year the Hitler name was registered in England/Wales for a living person. Postems are included to give relationship to the Austrian one. Free BMD.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »

It wasn't just the Hitlers.  Many German families who had settled in England before WW1 found it useful to Anglicise their surnames then.  A school friend's mother had been a Carr, converted from Karle, I believe.  And there were many others.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »

It wasn't just the Hitlers.  Many German families who had settled in England before WW1 found it useful to Anglicise their surnames then.  A school friend's mother had been a Carr, converted from Karle, I believe.  And there were many others.

Including the Battenburgs and the Saxe-Coburg Gothas. Whatever happened to them?
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Including the Battenburgs and the Saxe-Coburg Gothas. Whatever happened to them?

Well yes, but as those were titles I think that is a bit different.  And they were rather noticeable, weren't they?