Author Topic: Need help identifying Unknown cap/badges  (Read 2000 times)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying Unknown cap/badges
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kieran,Grandad have link to the Shetland and Orkney's? here's a link to my WW2 forum post
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/uniform-and-badge-help-gordon-highlanders.76127/
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 12:18 GMT (UK) »
The IWM has an example of a foul anchor arm badge, but with initials A and A to each side.  Google shows another with R and A.
Could be linked with Maritime regiments, RA, and could a Gordon’s TA unit have converted to RA, retaining some Highland bits of uniform?  It certainly happened here with a KLR Bn changing to RE with searchlights, then to RA/AA with guns.  They kept elements of title and possibly uniform.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 12:45 GMT (UK) »
The IWM has an example of a foul anchor arm badge, but with initials A and A to each side.  Google shows another with R and A.
Could be linked with Maritime regiments, RA, and could a Gordon’s TA unit have converted to RA, retaining some Highland bits of uniform?  It certainly happened here with a KLR Bn changing to RE with searchlights, then to RA/AA with guns.  They kept elements of title and possibly uniform.
Same here with the DLI ainslie when some battalion's converted to searchlight and aa units.

Offline Kierancl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kieran,Grandad have link to the Shetland and Orkney's? here's a link to my WW2 forum post
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/uniform-and-badge-help-gordon-highlanders.76127/

I’d need to ask my dad about that it’s possible I know my grandad and gran met in Scotland during the war so that would make sense, I will find out if he knows thanks for posting that for me I will have a look now :)

Offline Kierancl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 00:09 GMT (UK) »
So I had a chat with my dad He's said he was up in Scotland and was something to do with Scapa Flow as he volunteered to join the parachute regiment, apparently my grandad use to say he volunteered cause he was bored up in Scotland

Also looked through some more photos every photo of him he seems to be wearing a different uniform :o

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Probably your next step might be to ask for his Army record's Kieran thay are held by the MOD
cost around £30,you need nothing but his name and date of birth on the form plus a death certificate
if the person has passed away,I'm sure there's a guide here in the Armed forces section.
Good luck Steve.