Author Topic: A marriage in Ashby de la Zouche (1934)  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: A marriage in Ashby de la Zouche (1934) The answer!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I can now complete the story of the marriage at the head of this thread.

Herbert was born on October 3rd 1874 in Marylebone, London to George and Harriet West.
He married  Ellen Elizabeth Liquorish in London on August 21st 1898 (Note 1: a Weslayan Chapel). The pair were living in Fernhead Road, London in 1901.

Obfuscation 1: Ellen Elizabeth had returned to her parents' home in Cottingham, Northamptonshire at the time of the 1911 census - alone and suspected abandoned by Herbert. This led to the Ancestry assumption that Herbert had moved the Birmingham area.

Herbert was employed by the railways all his working life - first by Great Western and then by Central London. Employment records show that he retired in October 1934.

Herbert had a half sister named Flora born in 1883. In December 1923, Flora married Robert Edward Liquorish at the Register Office, Ashby de la Zouche, Leicestershire. Robert was Ellen Elizabeth's younger (by five years) brother.  His first wife, Sarah Elizabeth Harrison had died of Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1921.

The proof:

Herbert West married Nellie Searle at the Belvoir Road Methodist Chapel, Coalville, Leicestershire on November 3rd 1934. Both described themselves as widower and widow. Nellie had married Thomas George Searle in Paddington, London in 1906. The ceremony was witnessed by R Liquorish (Ellen's brother) and F Liquorish (his wife). After that, the couple moved to  Cardiff. Herbert died there in 1942.

Well, where was Ellen Elizabeth after 1911? Well, the time frame 1911 to 1934 pointed to a possible death occurring in the Hendon District in London in the early months of 1931. Following up on that, The Electoral Registers for England & Wales  show that Herbert and Ellen E West were living at 81 Thurlby Road, Wembley London.

So, that answers my main question with a negative: Herbert West was not a bigamist!

Cheers Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: A marriage in Ashby de la Zouche (1934)
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Reply 4 - so she was previously Nellie Barton.

I bet you are secretly disappointed that Herbert wasn't a bigamist :)

I couldn't trace a death for one of my ancestors husbands and was convinced she was a bigamist.  The only bit of "scandal" in my otherwise boring FH

I was gutted to later find he had died of typhoid in the USA on a pre-emigration visit to his brother in law
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: A marriage in Ashby de la Zouche (1934)
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I bet you are secretly disappointed that Herbert wasn't a bigamist :)

Actually I do have two known bigamists (one a double) in our database.

Also one could be described as an "honest polygamist". He ran two families concurrently - one on either side of the river - and had nineteen children between them. What's more there is circumstantial but strong evidence that the two families knew of and were in contact with one another.

Obviously I know which lot were committing the felony but were any of them any less guilty?!

Alan 
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson