Author Topic: Great Marlow burial 1829  (Read 737 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Great Marlow burial 1829
« on: Monday 11 March 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
This is probably a long shot but here goes:-

I am hoping that someone will be able to check out the original Great Marlow parish burials for me.

I have a Bucks FHS namesearch as well as a Great Marlow burials booklet and both transcritions give the following burial :

8 May 1829 John Neighbour age 40.

I have been trying to find a baptism for John c.1789 as indicated by his age at death, without success. I know ages at death can be out by a few years. The only Great marlow baptism is in 1804 which is too late (my John married Jane Field in 1813). A Bucks FHS search has come up with a baptism in nearby Burnham in 1790 (but born 1787) s/o Daniel & Jane but he appears to have been buried in Burnham in 1820 aged 30.

There is another possible baptism in Hambleden in 1784 s/o Thomas & mary but I have accounted for him on the 1851 census.

My John Neighbour's wife Ann died in 1846 with an age at death of 64 (i.e. dob about 1782) but I'm pretty sure she was baptised in 1788 so, if she's anything to go by, John's age at death might be well 'out'!

I have found another baptism for a John Neighbour in Burnham as early as 1780 s/o John & Ann who might be my man if - big if - the 1829 Great marlow burial age at death has been mistranscribed and actually reads 49 not 40.

Talk about clutching at straws! Still, I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me a definitive answer.

I hope I've explained that as clearly as possible.

Thanks,
jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Marlow burial 1829
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would try asking the CBS or High Wycombe Reference Library if they can provide you with a copy. It might cost around £5.

I am no longer local to Buckinghamshire or I would have checked.

Might also be worth having a wills name search carried out from the BucksFHS, £2 per surname and has been very helpful at times.

If you're in for £5 you might consider spending a little more, say £20 and have a researcher spend an hour on this. They would give you an intial quote/plan for free. I would recommend Cathy Soughton of Bucks Research who looked into some burial record originals (parish and BT's) along with manorial records.

And yes, ages can be off so you have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Best wishes,

Richard