Author Topic: Resource- Maiden name? George and Elizabeth Rogers TN and Mississippi  (Read 407 times)

Offline Breakthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Resource- Maiden name? George and Elizabeth Rogers TN and Mississippi
« on: Monday 11 March 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
HI,
I have a mystery in my tree. I have a couple George Rogers jr May16 1793 Sevier co TN- circa 1848 Ripley Tippah co Mississippi was married to Elizabeth ?? (Tippet is what you see most often in family trees but my relative their granddaughter wrote that she was a Boone (cousin or half-cousin to Daniel Boone) there is also 1 other name that sometimes appears as her maiden name.) I am hoping to find proof of which name is correct for her. Here are more details about their family:
George and Elizabeth married in Kentucky in 1813. Their son William Riely Rogers was born in 1814 (I think), next son Hiram K I believe was born 1816-1883, George Washington Rogers 1818 (I may have guessed these birth dates based on the one I know and birth order that I know), Rev. John Commodore Rogers 1820, James Madison Rogers June 25 1822 I know he was still alive in 1853, my relative Major Jefferson Carroll Rogers March 24 1824 Lawrence TN-Feb 27 1885 Milam Co Texas (I have a letter from his Mom Elizabeth written 1854 that mentions most of the siblings above as still living), Cornelius Asbury Rogers b 1814 or 1826 (sorry I seem to have conflicting info) he is also still alive in 1854, Thomas Franklin Rogers, Jane Rogers, Eliza Rogers, Lavina (Lavinia) Rogers Cartwright /Jones,  Emily Catherine Rogers Wray.
     Elizabeth the mother died in Tippah Mississippi in 1854.
Thank you so much for any help I can get on this one. I would love to be able to have a source document that has her maiden name on it.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Resource- Maiden name? George and Elizabeth Rogers TN and Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the county in Kentucky where they were married? What were the surnames in that county? Were there any Tippetts? Boones? other? Can you find a household whose head has that surname in 1790, 1800, 1810, that could hold a female of Elizabeth's age? Did the head of that family leave a will mentioning an Elizabeth Rogers that you can identify as "yours"? Did he buy or sell land to George?

Could her name be Riely or one of the other middle names of the sons, not counting George Washington or James Madison? Does the naming order of her children tell you anything about her ancestry?

Did she have siblings that you can trace? Maybe there is more information about one of them than about her? Have you thoroughly researched all her children, and did any of their records mention her surname? Is her husband or one of her sons mentioned in a county biography that gives his ancestry?

Could "Boone" be a family myth?

edited to add:
Do you know where the people in that Kentucky county came from before they were there? If so, repeat the process for that county or those counties.
How long was Daniel himself in that county? Do you know his parents? Everyone, or a lot of them, might have come from the same previous place, farther east.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I just remembered that you do know where George was born. If you can't find Elizabeth's family in the Kentucky county, then look in the county where George was from. Or look there earlier anyway. A good history of the county should tell you where the first settlers came from. Or the historical society or a good county genweb/rootsweb site. Google the county name + "history" or "settlers" etc. Also google the surnames plus the county, someone might have his own family history site with the information you are looking for.

Offline Breakthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I have sent a PM as well. Thank you so much for your help!