Author Topic: Need Help connecting Parents to Children  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help connecting Parents to Children
« on: Monday 11 March 19 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying for a long time to research my Great Uncle born in 1911 in Dingle, Co. Kerry. I have bits and pieces of information but just can't link it all together. Any help will greatly be appreciated.
Edward Richard Graham in 1928 when 17 left Ireland and went to Montreal and stayed with a sister for a period of time. The next information I got was he was living and working in Co. Sligo and was a "professional painter". On his way to work one day he is hit by a car and dies in Castlebar Hospital in 1955. My elderly Aunt told me he was married to a Katherine/Catherine or maybe Kathleen and she was a nurse. I found his death record and he lived in Corballa. For the longest time nothing more. Then I recently was advised his wife's maiden name was Catherine/Katherine McConnell and 4 children were born in Dromore West, Co. Sligo.  All this time I never thought to check the Catholic records since the family were Church of Ireland, so I guess Edward's wife was Catholic and he converted. Can anyone help me find out if Edward and Catherine were married in Co. Sligo. I have tried Canada, Ireland and England where I believe Catherine trained as a nurse. I know this is a lot but I have spent hours and hours going nowhere and don't want to give up. Why is it so hard to find out when ancestors from years and years ago I had no trouble!!!! Sorry for my stress, just extremely frustrated. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help connecting Parents to Children
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Firstly we are asked not to post names of people who may still be living and there is a possibility that that could apply to all the children you have named. It is best to remove their names.

The good news is that there is a newspaper report of the wedding. :). (FindMyPast)
Belfast Telegraph December 1940
Kerry Soldier's Sligo Bride
Briefly
St Mary’s Chapel Lane Belfast
Nurse Catherine McConnell from Corballagh, Sligo.
Lance Corporal Edward Graham, Military Police - native of Dingle.
There is a description of the bride and bridesmaid’s outfit and the priest was Father Cullen.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:09 GMT (UK) »
1955 November
Edward Graham (45) married and a painter by profession died in Castlebar Hospital where he was taken with injuries received when he was struck by a car on the Corballa-Ballina Road.
Mrs Graham who was cycling home with her husband was unhurt.
Deceased also leaves five children
five could be and error on the paper's part.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh my gosh I am so sorry about mentioning names that wasn’t aloud!!
Thank you so much for the help. So excited and very much appreciate your fast help. Again my most sincere thank you👍😊

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Catherine brought the driver to court, again it says five children.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 19 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of Edward Graham.

M/1941/B1/2325/22/57   Catherine   McConnell   Graham   24th December 1940   Belfast

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 19 20:07 BST (UK) »

The good news is that there is a newspaper report of the wedding. :). (FindMyPast)
Belfast Telegraph December 1940
Kerry Soldier's Sligo Bride
Briefly
St Mary’s Chapel Lane Belfast
Nurse Catherine McConnell from Corballagh, Sligo.
Lance Corporal Edward Graham, Military Police - native of Dingle.
There is a description of the bride and bridesmaid’s outfit and the priest was Father Cullen.

Heywood

Belfast Telegraph 24 December 1940

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 August 19 09:17 BST (UK) »

Townland of Corbally, north east of Ballina.
Castleconnor Civil Parish, Co. Sligo.

https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/tireragh/castleconnor/castleconor-west/corbally/

KG