Author Topic: Coster/Costard family of Benson  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Silkbraid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coster/Costard family of Benson
« on: Monday 11 March 19 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help me to find the marriage of Thomas Costard whose first child was baptised in1593 in Benson and also his baptism. I have seen a spouse named on some Ancestry trees - Katherine - and also a father called Andrew, but search as I might, I cannot find either record!

Offline ElizabethMills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Coster/Costard family of Benson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 15:31 BST (UK) »
I am a volunteer for the Oxfordshire Family History Society and have spent a little while scrutinising the Benson parish records from 1560 (when they began) to 1612 for Costar (and variants: Chostard, Costarde, Coastard, Chostard, Coster, Costerd(e), Costord, Coustard, and Costerr)

I am afraid I cannot find either a baptism or marriage in Benson for Thomas Coster.  The very first mention of the name appears in the baptism register:
12 May 1594 Edward, son of Thomas Coster followed shortly afterwards by
6 Jan 1595 Jean, daughter of Thomas Costerr

The only Coster marriage I can find is
1 Oct 1598 Thomas Nash married Florence Coster

And a search for burials brought up
17 Jun 1591 Susan Costerde, wyf
1 Apr 1618 Thomas Coster, senex
18 July 1635 Widdowe Costerd

There are however quite a lot of records of Costars in nearby parishes, e.g. Cholsey, For example, there is a Thomas Costard baptised in Cholsey in 1568

Nowhere in Oxfordshire can I find a Thomas Costar (or variants) marrying a Katherine so I would ignore that "hint" from other trees. 

I hope that this is helpful information.  Do respond if you would like any further research done by the Oxfordshire Family History Society

Offline Silkbraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will certainly look at some of the other areas you mentioned. I think you’re right about the ‘hints’, as I’ve spent quite a long time trying unsuccessfully to find them, so time to move on! Thanks again.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 May 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
From the OxfordFHS marriage Index - 1538-1837.

Marriage - Andrew COSTORD to Joan Wigmore @ Henley. 19 Jan 1561.

Sorry, I can find no marriage in the index, for your Thomas Costard(and variants).  Possibly, he was married out of the county of Oxford.

As for the 'hint'.  Contact the tree owner, and ask for confirmation and sources.  Do not take this tree as 'gospel', unless they have sources.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Silkbraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 May 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that - I think you helped me out once before!
As for the 'hint', I did send a couple of emails to owners of different trees, who had the same information, but unfortunately I didn't get any response. I won't add anything unless I find the proof myself, so maybe I will have to accept that I've gone as far as I can with that particular branch.
Thanks again

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 May 19 16:18 BST (UK) »
You know your Thomas Costard existed......you could trace him back a few more generations.  Baptism/birth search via OxFHS.  ;)

You may not get his spouses name....so there'll be a gap in your tree. ::)

You cannot rely on Ancestry and such, for online records.  They do not cover Oxfordshire entirely, nor Berks and Bucks.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Silkbraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 May 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve, maybe I won't give up on the Costers just yet!