Author Topic: Stupid DNA questions of the day  (Read 1145 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid DNA questions of the day
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
The DNA trees are exactly the same as normal trees. Public, private and searchable, private and non searchable.

If you attach it to your DNA  it generates a list of shared surnames and places.

You can only see someone else's tree if you have a subscription or get invited to view it.

I meant the DNA matching page which you are presented with giving you the opportunity of messaging your matches.

Normal profile is when you look at someone's tree say, and click on their name, bringing up their profile page and an opportunity to message them.

Basically, your DNA test works better if you have a subscription.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, thanks for clarifying. So the minute you fill in the tree and select 'private' or 'public', you're in the general index. That's helpful to know. Flemming.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 12:14 GMT (UK) »
When I click on a matches profile I can't go on and view their tree but I can see thumbnails of recently added images, to tiny to read documents but the photos can be fairly clear, worth keeping in mind if you decide to add any photos etc.

I just put a very basic tree on and linked it to my DNA, I also filled in the info that appears under my name so anyone viewing my profile can at least see my surnames and counties.