Author Topic: A wonderful book of memories  (Read 260 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
A wonderful book of memories
« on: Tuesday 12 March 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
At 10:20 this morning on BBC Radio 4 there was an interview with a lady who has just compiled a book of questions to ask your mother or an elderly relative. It was a lovely interview about a wonderful concept.  It will be available on the BBC website.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A wonderful book of memories
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
My Daughter bought me a book called "The Mother's Book" The gift book you hope to get back. It's format is designed to answer questions about yourself from childhood and there are spaces to add photos. A lovely idea and great gift that she will get back.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
How lovely,as yet my lot do not have an interest in their ancestors ,to my sorrow ,but I ought to write it all down anyway .
My Mum told me so much about her family. No T,V in those days just after the war.
I feel I knew my grandma and a recently discovered photograph from a cousin was a shock,it was like looking in the mirror.
I always thought I was more like my Dadís side,colouring especially but this photograph has changed my mind .
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 16:46 GMT (UK) »
When my Grandson was born someone gave me a Grandmother's book to fill out for him.  It contains all sorts of interesting questions.  It is the sort of book I would have loved to have received from either of my Grandmothers.

I love reading hand written books from the past.  I quite like reading the old school log books at the schools my ancestors attended.  The people who filled these out likely would have had no inkling as to how important and interesting these now are to people like me.  I have used these to find out about my ancestors (some were a bit naughty it seems) and also for my voluntary war research.

My Grandson is only a baby still (not yet two) and, who knows, he may not be interested in family history.  He might not be too interested in things such as who my best friend was at school, what childhood pets I had etc.  Even if he is not interested I suppose someone else in the way of even an indirect descendant may be.

I think it is a good idea to have a book of memories along with a good paper trail.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner