Author Topic: A wonderful book of memories  (Read 721 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A wonderful book of memories
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 April 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
It may have been cheap Victoria but it's rich in sentiment....if only it could talk....one can only imagine the clothing that has been stored in it over the years.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 April 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean, my gran had the family name of a great grandfather a bit wrong (Trotter instead of Trotman) but because she had provided where he was from and his occupation I was able to find my 2XGG. I wouldn't have known where to start otherwise.  Linda

I would not have been able to start at all I suspect.....
Back in the 80's my younger son came home from primary school and asked for a photo of his great grandparents in order to begin researching his family tree.
Happily I was able to fill that requirement, but I realised that I knew nothing of my own great grand parents, so I sent out a request to the very few senior generation that were left to me, asking for help.
My mother produced a hand written tree from memory on A5 writing paper going back to some of her 2 x greats, on which I was able to build. 
If that request had been delayed until senior school it would have been too late.
Without names and places I would have had no clue where to begin.
Now I am desperately trying to write it all down in some form that may interest my grand children, (or theirs,) one day.
If it is not in an accessible form, it will be so very hard to trace, perhaps impossible, being spread out all over central Europe.

Rowse in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 April 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
It may have been cheap Victoria but it's rich in sentiment....if only it could talk....one can only imagine the clothing that has been stored in it over the years.
Carol
Well it would have witnessed my fatherís home birth, likewise his brotherís  and sisterís.
My grandmotherís death,and my auntiesí husbandís too.
Grandma died just as my Dad was going away to war.Her death must have delayed his departure as he had orders to present himself at M/c Town Hall but he was present at her death,then off he went to the army.
September 1916.
It took several years for grandad to pay for the funeral,at a few shillings a month or so.
I have every receipt.
Do you know, I never asked a question I now could kick myself for not asking, of my father and my aunt,did grandma keep her Shropshire accent?
It is but would have been stronger then,a lovely soft lilting accent.
Viktoria.