Author Topic: A wonderful book of memories  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
A wonderful book of memories
« on: Tuesday 12 March 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
At 10:20 this morning on BBC Radio 4 there was an interview with a lady who has just compiled a book of questions to ask your mother or an elderly relative. It was a lovely interview about a wonderful concept.  It will be available on the BBC website.

Martin

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A wonderful book of memories
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
My Daughter bought me a book called "The Mother's Book" The gift book you hope to get back. It's format is designed to answer questions about yourself from childhood and there are spaces to add photos. A lovely idea and great gift that she will get back.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
How lovely,as yet my lot do not have an interest in their ancestors ,to my sorrow ,but I ought to write it all down anyway .
My Mum told me so much about her family. No T,V in those days just after the war.
I feel I knew my grandma and a recently discovered photograph from a cousin was a shock,it was like looking in the mirror.
I always thought I was more like my Dad’s side,colouring especially but this photograph has changed my mind .
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 16:46 GMT (UK) »
When my Grandson was born someone gave me a Grandmother's book to fill out for him.  It contains all sorts of interesting questions.  It is the sort of book I would have loved to have received from either of my Grandmothers.

I love reading hand written books from the past.  I quite like reading the old school log books at the schools my ancestors attended.  The people who filled these out likely would have had no inkling as to how important and interesting these now are to people like me.  I have used these to find out about my ancestors (some were a bit naughty it seems) and also for my voluntary war research.

My Grandson is only a baby still (not yet two) and, who knows, he may not be interested in family history.  He might not be too interested in things such as who my best friend was at school, what childhood pets I had etc.  Even if he is not interested I suppose someone else in the way of even an indirect descendant may be.

I think it is a good idea to have a book of memories along with a good paper trail.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline lindygog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
I am so fortunate that my grandmother wrote out her memories and stories told to her by her grandmother before she died. It has been a wealth of information that not only helped me trace our tree but added stories about her ancestor's occupations, descriptions and things that they did that put "flesh" on the "bones" of the people, dates and places. One of my favorite stories is of her grandmother, Elizabeth Trotman, who was head chambermaid at the Grand Hotel on the IOW, had a brush with royalty. It seems that King Edward, while he was prince of Wales, was a known prankster and he set fire to her train (as befitted her station she had a short train to her bustle). She complained to management and was given an apology and a nice tip.

I have a book called "To my daughter, with love" which asks about my childhood and life events that I am to fill in and give back to my daughter.  I am gradually filling in details as I remember them and hope that it will give my grandchildren the same thrill I have when reading my grandmothers memories.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 19 18:13 BST (UK) »
I am so fortunate that my grandmother wrote out her memories and stories told to her by her grandmother before she died. It has been a wealth of information that not only helped me trace our tree but added stories about her ancestor's occupations ... 

My aunt (the one who became a missionary) did that about 30 years ago.  It was interesting for me, with the later access to the web, to find out where her memories were wrong - for example talking about meetings with people who were already dead.  Presumably that meant she had mixed up identities; but it was just as interesting to fit her facts around the drier versions available from the census and BMD etc.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 19 18:36 BST (UK) »
My father wrote down a lot about his childhood (and also recorded some memories on tape, which we still have).

Included in these were things about his parents, my grandparents.

I may have told this story before, but I recall reading in my father's book about how his mother, my grandmother, used to make the journey by bus each week from Leyton, North East London, where they lived, to Woolwich, across the River (or rather through the Blackwall Tunnel), where she cleaned for her own mother, my great grandmother.

My great grandmother lived with another daughter, but typically in families, they'd fallen out so my gran came and did the cleaning.

After my great grandmother died, she left my gran 12/6d in her will as a thank you for all the cleaning, and my father's book said that his mother had used this to buy an oak drop leaf side table, with twisted decorative legs - but unfortunately one of the legs twisted the wrong way.

And I looked up from where I was sitting reading this in my own sitting room and there was the very table, which I had carefully brought when I cleared my dad's house after his death.

And it's just occurred to me that this piece of furniture had been passed down to my dad from his mother when she had moved out of London during the Blitz - the gift of the furniture enabled my parents to afford to get married.  My dad explained in the tape recording how his mother had been greatly disturbed by the bombs in London where they lived.

It all links up.  I think my son is interested in it all - he certainly seems so

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline lindygog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 19 18:37 BST (UK) »
It was interesting for me, with the later access to the web, to find out where her memories were wrong -

I know what you mean, my gran had the family name of a great grandfather a bit wrong (Trotter instead of Trotman) but because she had provided where he was from and his occupation I was able to find my 2XGG. I wouldn't have known where to start otherwise.

Linda

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 April 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
My grand daughter is just about to buy her first house.
To help her out she is having a bedroom suite which was my grandmother’s.
It passed to my aunt when grandma died 1916.
It was in aunt’s house when she died and I had  to,sort it all.
I acquired it and then gave it to grandson after being in my son’s first home.
It went into storage at my daughter’s  business and now to my grand daughter.
It survived the Manchester blitz ,Christmas 1940.
I had it stripped of its imitation mahogany plum coloured varnish and now I think it will get painted.
It would have been bought in 1896.
I would like it back just for sentimental reasons but not enough storage for me now.
But it is being useful again.
Well made by today’s standards but it would have been cheap, they were very poor.
Viktoria.