Author Topic: Patrick McParland, RIC, Belfast  (Read 1780 times)

Offline mrados

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick McParland, RIC, Belfast
« on: Tuesday 12 March 19 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi grave no VB53B in Milltown Cemetery is my Grandmother grave.
Her name is Rose Mc Guirk née Boyle she lived at 32 Fallswater st Belfast.
She died in the year 1970.
We visited her grave about four years ago and to our surprise it had the name Patrick Mc Parland born 1819 died 1903 on the head stone.
I am thinking it must me some relative but I do not know.
I live in Australia and some time in the near future we want to put her name on the gravestone.
How do I get any information on Patrick Mc Parland. We need permission from the mc Parland family in order to put my Grandmother name on the grave so I have been told .  I have tried so many searches but come up with nothing.
I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Kind Regards
Monica Rados

Her name is. Rose mcGuirk
                     32 Fallswater st
                      Belfast

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick McParland, RIC, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
… the name Patrick Mc Parland born 1819 died 1903 on the head stone...
I can't see anyone by the name of Patrick McParland, or anything lose to that name, that old in 1901 census or death registrations. Closest I can come is this death- age 72-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05664/4595134.pdf

Did you find out from the cemetery whose name the plot is registered? and did they give an exact date of death for Patrick? and address for Patrick when he died?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mrados

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I can't see anyone by the name of Patrick McParland, or anything lose to that name, that old in 1901 census or death registrations. Closest I can come is this death- age 72-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05664/4595134.pdf

Did you find out from the cemetery whose name the plot is registered? and did they give an exact date of death for Patrick? and address for Patrick when he died?

We have a picture of the grave stone and it says
Patrick mc Parland
Died 12th May 1903
I rang Milltown Cemetery and they would not give me an address or any details as the lady said it is a family plot and she could not give me any details. I was very disappointed with that.
I did not find out the name the plot is registered in. They  just said it was a family plot so I took it for granted it was a mc Parland plot.
I do not know the connection to the mc Parland name and my Grandmothers.
I felt very bad not seeing her name on the grave.
This might seem to be an unusual question but dose the person have to be related to the family plot they are buried in. I am almost sure they do but was their any reason in the past to over ride this.

Thank you so much for replying I appreciate it.

Offline mrados

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
We have a picture of the grave stone and it says
Patrick mc Parland
Died 12th May 1903
I rang Milltown Cemetery and they would not give me an address or any details as the lady said it is a family plot and she could not give me any details. I was very disappointed with that.
I did not find out the name the plot is registered in. They  just said it was a family plot so I took it for granted it was a mc Parland plot.
I do not know the connection to the mc Parland name and my Grandmothers.
I felt very bad not seeing her name on the grave.
This might seem to be an unusual question but dose the person have to be related to the family plot they are buried in. I am almost sure they do but was their any reason in the past to over ride this.

Thank you so much for replying I appreciate it.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Everything apart from the age of the death Aghadowney posted matches the headstone so it would appear it's this man
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor/Donnybrook_Street/965820/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Belfast Cemetery Records..Milltown
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
My husband was convener of a burying ground and ownership of plots, etc. can be quite confusing. This would also apply to cemeteries. The original purchaser of the plot or a later owner may or may not be buried in the plot.

Thanks for posting the photo of the headstone which confirms the death certificate I posted would be the Patrick McParland on the headstone. The headstone is one day off from the death certificate (not uncommon is stone wasn't erected right away as is often the case) and both give occupation as R.I.C. (Royal Ulster Irish Constabulary)- only problem is headstone says age 84 but death certificate 72.

Headstone doesn't list Patrick's spouse so perhaps she had died many years earlier or was buried elsewhere.
The headstone does give us the name of a son, Patrick (alive in 1903) and death certificate another son, "J.," of 65 Donnybrook St. in 1903. "J" is likely the son James in 1901 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor/Donnybrook_Street/965820

1901 Belfast directory- Donneybrook St.  65. Parland, P., R.I.C. pensioner
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/dcomplete1901_2.htm

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that Sinann also found the same census record  ;)

I'm going to ask for the last posts from your original one be split to make it's own topic (will still be on ANTRIM board).

Also, any new lettering on the headstone wouldn't likely to be that sort of old lead lettering (none of the memorial mason I know do it anymore but if you did find one in Belfast area to do so it's unlikely to be done the same way and those letters have an unfortunate habit of falling out).

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,

In your post #126, R.I.C. is Royal Irish Constabulary.
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Looks like daughter Agnes' age was a bit off in 1901-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03517/2293574.pdf
Agnes and brother James born in Cavan but Patrick in Armagh which makes sense as RIC men weren't allowed to serve in their own county or that of their spouse (and McParland is common name in Armagh).

Aghadowey, In your post #126, R.I.C. is Royal Irish Constabulary.
Opps. Thanks for the correction