Author Topic: Patrick McParland, RIC, Belfast  (Read 225 times)

Offline mrados

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick McParland, RIC, Belfast
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Wonder is this is 'your' Patrick?
Newry Reporter, 24 June 1879: Constable M‘Parland, who had been stationed in Cavan for some time past, and formerly at Mayo Bridge, has been promoted to the rank and pay of Head-Constable, and transferred ...

Can you send me full document please.
I would appreciate it.

The age of Patrick on his grave stone and on the census 1901 are different .
Is this a common mistake or why do you think this is.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I can only view the above extract for the 1879 newspaper article doing a free search on Find My Past.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/irish-newspapers

It's not that uncommon to find different dates in census records, death certificates and gravestones. In the case of headstone sometimes a stone wasn't erected until a later date. In the early 1990s I asked when a couple had died (in the room were 2 sons, a daughter, daughter-in-law and 3 grandchildren of the couple) and have never seen such panic and confusion when they tried to remember the dates. At one point there was trouble remembering who had died first, a child was sent under the stairs to see date house was built (they thought one had died before house was built and other after), etc. The daughter-in-law was closest to the dates and afterwards they said they must put up a headstone sometime. Can you image what dates and ages they could come up with!
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mrados

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all your help.