Author Topic: When did William die??  (Read 597 times)

Offline StephenEdwardReid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When did William die??
« on: Tuesday 12 March 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out when one of my relatives died - but can't seem to find anything conclusive.

William Pitt (born to James Isaac Pitt and Sarah Vernon) was born in Southwark in may 1848. He lived with his deceased brothers widowed wife, Angelina and had 5 children with her. Somewhere before 1911, he disappears from the family set-up, with Angelina and the kids showing up on the census with her as being "widowed" - the first time she's used that term since being with William. William (an ex-brush maker) seems to be in and out of the Southwark workhouse during these years, with a final entry (where he's infirm) in June 1915. His son (Edward Albert Pitt) is married in October 1917 and lists his father as deceased. So presumably, he died between June 1915 and October 1917, but I can't find any record of it. Can anyone help??

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: When did William die??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
If she described herself as a widow in 1911, but you know that he was alive and in and out of the workhouse, could they simply have lost touch with him and presumed that he'd died? That could explain why his son described him as deceased. So he may have died after 1917. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
with a final entry (where he's infirm) in June 1915. His son (Edward Albert Pitt) is married in October 1917 and lists his father as deceased. So presumably, he died between June 1915 and October 1917, but I can't find any record of it. Can anyone help??

There's a record for the Mint Street workhouse showing his admission on 10 June 1915, with a discharge on 2 July 1918. So perhaps William and his family had gone their separate ways by the time his son married (as suggested by groom above).

Amongst several possible deaths for him, you might want to consider 1933 in Camberwell, aged 84, which I think is the only one in London and is in a nearby area.

ADDED - this one was buried on 23 June 1933 at Camberwell New Cemetery (DeceasedOnline free index)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the burial record for 1933 - not too much info. It does have his address if anybody can decipher it? Coustawee (??) Rd.

As William and Angelina never married, her status as "widow" on the 1911 census is correct. On the 1915 workhouse entry, he ALSO is listed as a widow. I can't quite get my head round it all. He may have remarried in the brief time between maybe?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
48 Constance Road
Maybe the Constance Road Institution?
http://www.exploringsouthwark.co.uk/constance-road-institution/4594279136

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
The Constance Road Institution would certainly tie in with his years post 1910 of being in and out of a workhouse continually. I just need to find a way to tie this all in with MY William to see if it's the right one!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 21:45 GMT (UK) »
As Jon says, that's the address of the Institution, which was the successor to the Camberwell Workhouse (after 1929). So it does look feasible.

His death certificate might give his occupation as Brushmaker, if it had been noted in the Institution's records.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that seems like a good bet.