Author Topic: How do you 'manage' another person's results.  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
How do you 'manage' another person's results.
« on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I am considering asking my 92 year old father to 'do' an autosomal DNA test - hoping it will help me to clarify connections, including to a group of DNA matches, all connected to each other (via ancestry dna), but with no overlap that I can find, with other matches, that I can at least say are connected to me on either my maternal or paternal side. With my Dad's results, I hope to throw light on this group, viz a viz, whether they are maternal or paternal matches.

I know you don't need to pay a subscription, and if I was to manage my dad's results/account I would (presumably) be able to see how we interact with each other, and with our joint matches, from both sides.  However I am anxious about the logistics involved, I don't want to make a mistake, which accidentally requires me to pay a subscription for my dad.  So I am looking for advice please, about how to go about it, etc.

I very much expect that these questions have been asked before, but having had a quick look, I cant find a previous 'conversation' about this subject??  So I would be very happy for advice, or direction to a previous post, that I can read!

PS - my first step, I do know, - wait until I can get a cheapish deal - hopefully around Mothers Day, later this month!!

And just for clarification, I should confirm that it is an Ancestry DNA test that i would like to get my Dad to 'do'!

Thanks Jane

PPS - Not that my Dad will be much interested in the results!  All he is interested in, currently, is what he is getting for dinner today, and who is making it for him, how Celtic played in their match at the weekend, we are a sports mad family, and, finally, what went on in parliament today - and I'm definitely not getting into that!!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do you 'manage' another person's results.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Both my parents did DNA tests through Ancestry. 

1st you need the register the kits.  I had to set up 2 new accounts as I already had one attached to my account.

From each of the new accounts an invitation can then be sent to your main account inviting you to be the manager of a the DNA results.  If you google this you will find the instructions on how to do this.

It’s actually quite straightforward.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nic!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I have had both my children tested. I have registered their tests to my account. On the DNA Home Page there is then an option to "View Another Test". I can select either of my two "overheads" and I am looking at their results.

Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 20:02 GMT (UK) »
For children/minors you can register the test to your account.

But it’s the date of birth which causes the issues of adding a test of an adult.  This is why they have to be registered to their own account.

I think it’s to do with data protection.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it has changed by my "children" are in their forties????
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 March 19 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Diplodocus, It changed a year or two ago. There was a lot of upset at the time, but it is really easy to manage someone else's results.

They need their own account with a separate email to yours, but once set up you don't have to use that email again.

However, if you don't take out a subscription on your new account, you will often get offers sent to that account, so it's worth checking it every so often.

My Dad died a few years ago at 93, before I knew about autosomal DNA testing. A missed opportunity, but don't know if he would have agreed to have it done anyway!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 March 19 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know if you can manage accounts between the different Ancestry options.  I am in the UK and use Ancestry.co.uk but my sister is in the USA and has recently had her dna done and registered with Ancestry.com but is not interested in matches.  Could I manage her .com account?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 March 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Can you not ask her to give you her password?
gedmatch.com A006809