Author Topic: Marriage of John McFadyen and Jean Renfrew  (Read 1078 times)

Offline NicPhaidein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of John McFadyen and Jean Renfrew
« on: Tuesday 12 March 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I've found two marriage records, both in September 1806, and I need advice on how to pick the most probable one for my ggg-grandparents. 1. 6 Sep 1806, High Church, Paisley between John McFadyen and Jean Renfrew. 2. 26 Sep 1806, Barony between John McFadyen and Janet Renfrew. I don't think a pair of handloom weavers would have two ceremonies. I always heard that my ggg-grandmother was a Jean. I think that the first record is the one to go with as Jean was from Paisley, although the couple lived in Calton. I have neither a date of birth or death for John. I do know he was listed as deceased on Jean's death certificate. I welcome any comments or advice on this matter.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John McFadyen and Jean Renfrew
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Did they live long enough to be in the 1841 census? The 1851 Census?
If so, what are their places of birth?

You say you have the 'death certificate' for Jean? Presumably after 1855, if you have  a certificate. That should mention her parents.

I think 'Jean' and 'Janet' were virtually interchangeable names in Scotland, so I wouldn't base my decision simply on the fact that one of them was called Jean, and the other Janet.

Barony (Glasgow?), not very far from Paisley.
It's possible one ceremony was her parish, and the other one his.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Jean and Janet are quite distinct names, but session clerks could make errors. You should look at the one with Jean first to see exactly what it says. If it states that the bride and groom are from different parishes, then look at the other entry.

What is recorded with marriages varies a great deal. Normally the date is when the couple were "booked", i.e. went to the session clerk to have their names put forward for the reading of banns. If they came from separate parishes, this was done in both places. Sometimes the actual date of marriage is given. Sometimes "and married" is added to the original entry.

Look at both.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 23:29 GMT (UK) »
If the bride and groom lived in different parishes, the impending marriage was proclaimed in both parishes, although not necessarily on the same days, therefore the dates in each register may be different. You may also find that one register may show the proclamation date and the other the date of the marriage itself.

The above information is a direct quote from Scotlands People guide to OPR marriages.
Jean/Jane/Janet  - I've come across instances where these names have been interchangeable although Janet is usually interchangeable with Jessie/Nettie.

Looby ;)

Offline NicPhaidein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your take on this; it prompted me to take a closer look at the documents. The first one, dated 6 September 1806, is entitled PROCLAMATIONS. and the second one, dated 26 September 1806, is entitled PROCLAIMED and MARRIED. It mentions that Jean is from the Parish of Paisley. Although we see the names Jean and Janet being used, I am confident that this is the same couple. Unfortunately, I have been unable to go further back with John. I think he had a brother named Joseph who was a witness at the birth of James, my gg-grandfather. Is it possible that John's father would have been named James also? I could look for a James McFadyen or Seumas MacPhŕidein.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
The Calton was certainly in the Barony parish but a female hand-loom weaver is a bit strange?

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Jean/Jane/Janet  - I've come across instances where these names have been interchangeable although Janet is usually interchangeable with Jessie/Nettie.
I have come across one or two Jean/Jane/Janets, but I have come across very many more families including both a Jane/Jean and a Janet/Jessie, suggesting that most people did not regard Jane/Jean as the same name as Janet/Jessie (even though Jane, Jean and Janet are all actually from the same root, that is the feminine of John).

Though as Jean was from out-of-parish it is quite possible that the clerk in Barony got her name wrong.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 14:58 GMT (UK) »
The answer, as GR2 has already stated, is quite simple. One of them lived in Paisley and the other lived in Barony parish, so, they were proclaimed to be married in both parishes. Have a look at the original records.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile