Author Topic: Unexpected results using Gedmatch  (Read 646 times)

Offline Nameuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • It is a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected results using Gedmatch
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 March 19 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Do these matches have the same contact person?
Yes.

Those are likely links of an uncle or aunt to a niece or nephew, or a grandparent to a grandchild, half siblings, or double first cousins.
The top looked progenitor/offspring to me. Followed by half sibling. Followed by half nieces/nephews. That was what I was thinking of the results.

When I transferred from the usual Gedmatch to Genesis, It brought up about a dozen bizarre matches which were an error.

You could identify them because, although they showed on the one-to-many list, some very high up my table ( 9 in the top 70), if you went further, and did a 1-to-1 match comparison, it told you you had 0 cM of common DNA.  I had to email gedmatch, and they resolved the problem!!

In the attachments of my 2nd post are a couple of the 1-to-1 comparisons. They're consistent with the one-to-many match results; very high in cM count.

I'm still somewhat expecting (hoping?) it to be an error of some kind.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ConfusedMason

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Do these matches have the same contact person?
Yes.

Those are likely links of an uncle or aunt to a niece or nephew, or a grandparent to a grandchild, half siblings, or double first cousins.
The top looked progenitor/offspring to me. Followed by half sibling. Followed by half nieces/nephews. That was what I was thinking of the results.

When I transferred from the usual Gedmatch to Genesis, It brought up about a dozen bizarre matches which were an error.

You could identify them because, although they showed on the one-to-many list, some very high up my table ( 9 in the top 70), if you went further, and did a 1-to-1 match comparison, it told you you had 0 cM of common DNA.  I had to email gedmatch, and they resolved the problem!!

In the attachments of my 2nd post are a couple of the 1-to-1 comparisons. They're consistent with the one-to-many match results; very high in cM count.

I'm still somewhat expecting (hoping?) it to be an error of some kind.

Have you emailed them?

Probably not an error.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Nameuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • It is a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 19 02:02 GMT (UK) »

Have you emailed them?

Probably not an error.

Sent out an email. Been a few (3) days. No response yet.

Tried to keep it casual(?). 'Hey, noticed we seem to share a lot of DNA. This is my kit number on Gedmatch; you may want to take a look at the 1-to-1 comparison to these kits you manage. Feel free to email me'.

Don't know, how does one broach such a subject (?).

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Don't know, how does one broach such a subject (?).

Very Carefully

Given the possible relationships ( dnapainter gives both options 100%) is there no one you can discuss this with to gain more insight before contacting the other match.

PS good luck with the email _ I've tried 8 different contacts through gedmatch and only one replied  :(
Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh