Author Topic: Wm. Moore, blacksmith in Ballycastle 1854  (Read 926 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wm. Moore, blacksmith in Ballycastle 1854
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a Wm. Moore listed on an 1854 deed noting him as a blacksmith from Ballycastle. Land deed/lease was in Broughshane area near Ballymena. Was wondering where I would find a directory of blacksmiths for this time period.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wm. Moore, blacksmith in Ballycastle 1854
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Updating this post.  Still looking for a William Moore, blacksmith in Ballycastle. He was noted as this in an 1854 deed selling a lease near Martinstown north of Broughshane. The 1861 Griffiths valuation shows a William Moore senior and Wm. Moore junior leasing land in Townparks, Ramoan parish, Ballycastle and then two more William Moores (no notes as to Sr. or Jr.) as tenants on Castle Street, Ballycastle. From a thread I just closed/completed there was a Sarah Moore who died in 1880, wife of Matthew Moore who died earlier and living on Castle Street when she died. They had a son William also on Castle Street, who died in 1900 a bachelor.  So these are not my Moores.

But is Wm. Moore Senior listed in the 1861 Griffiths Valuation my William and who was his wife? (I'm trying to establish a relation between the Wm. Moore, blacksmith in Ballycastle and his "partner" Moses Paul of Knockanully who sold a one year lease for a corn mill in Knockanully to a John McCaughey in 1854.  I think Moore and Paul were brother in laws.)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 21 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Well Moses Paul married at Broughshane in 1864.  His wife was Nancy McCash/McCosh who was a spinster. Both of full age.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Well Moses Paul married at Broughshane in 1864.  His wife was Nancy McCash/McCosh who was a spinster. Both of full age.

Marriage 14th May 1860
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1860/09583/5474580.pdf

Nancy from the townland of Knockboy.
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim-lower/broughshane/knockboy/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 March 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
ooops sorry can't read my own notes  and forgot to attach the link which would have corrected the error! :-[

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 March 21 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The Moses Paul who married Nancy McCosh in 1860 was a different Moses. This Moses had the lease/use of the Knockanully Corn Mill back into the 1830's.  His wife was Margaret who may have been a McElheron/McIlharon. By 1865 this Moses was dead as his wife Margaret and (son?) William sold the mill to McKeever and even today it's still known as McKeevers Mill (but now a private residence).

So- back to William Moore, blacksmith in Ballycastle, whose name is with Moses Paul on the 1854 lease to McCaughey.  If my intuition is correct- Wm. Moore's wife was either a Paul or McElheron. Finding him- and then her maiden name is the goal.